overflow plumbing

Bigpapa

Hopefully my last plumbing question......my overflow will have two outgoing pipes and i wanted to try to create it the most quiet as possible. Any suggestions/opinions would be great! If you have pics that would also be great, i just want to try to get this right the first time.....

Thanks!

foxsavage

Search for Herbie or Bean Animal overflow, they're both silent and don't create micro bubbles like the other ones I've seen.

jpsika08

As stated above, look for those two choices, basic difference between them the Herbie consist of two dursos and the Bean Animal of three, the third one is just the emergency durso in case the first two get clogged.
I have in my system the Bean Animal drainage, it works great, it's silent and drains huge amounts of water.

Here is the how to guide on BeanAnimal's system:
Silent and Failsafe Overflow System - Reef Central Online Community

Good luck, any more questions, just shoot.

Bigpapa

Great Stuff!! 1st, my overflow is internal with 4 drilled holes-the 2 larger will be my outs. Because of the configuration I will use the Herbie, I cant use 3 outs and just the 1 return. But, on a few links I saw that the bend in the durso is down and some up. I am not sure how the down bend would take in the emergency water but I may be wrong... LMK which way it really should face if possible..

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
On my custom tank I'm having built, i went with 2 drains and one return (Herbie). Haven't set it up yet but as Juan says, they are supposed to work great. Then Bean just has one more emergency drain

jpsika08

Here are some shots of my overflow dursos:

This is the open top durso:
0965ddd9.jpg

This is the closed top durso, this is the only pipe that has a gate valve underneath, this is to allow dial in flow for the system:
70637c27.jpg

And My emergency durso, as you can see it's fully open on the top, believe me when I tell you it has served it's purpose several times:
8bad532c.jpg