Our new 50g Tub!

ambowlin

So, we've had several smaller tanks (mainly due to budget and space)... this is the biggest tank by far that we've had in the three years we've been in the hobby.

We've switched and migrated and consolidated a lot... hopefully this is the last time until we have to leave this house!!!
We will be taking down the other three cubes we have running now (BC29, BC14, JBJ24) and combing the coral and some of the livestock to move into the 50. We will be using rock from marcorocks and seeding it/adding the live rock (most of it we've had for around 3 years) to the 50 as well.

Specs:

Tank: 50g Tub
Stand: Custom built by our friend David (extra large stand lol-- 42"tall!!! for optimum viewing)
Corner overflow
Return: *TBD*
Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNWB 110 (for external use)
Sump: 15g
Lights: T5 setup in canopy (*6 bulb DIY)
Intended stock: Various lps and softies from our other 3 tanks that are up.

Last edited:

ambowlin

I was actually just working on that...
David just added the doors to the stand:
81993b7c.jpg

And David drilling the tank:
5e8ba236.jpg

The Rock from marcocrocks came in today:
9136aa29.jpg
676c7439.jpg

Tank and stand set up in the house! (took a lot of living room rearranging to get that stand in there!!!)
101_3746.jpg

d0ca72a6.jpg

Leak test tomorrow.... Definitely some sand rinsing and rock scaping!
:)

I will def be following this seems to be off to a good start though what kind of lighting system are u going to use on the 50 gal ?

ambowlin

I will def be following this seems to be off to a good start though what kind of lighting system are u going to use on the 50 gal ?

We are doing a t5 system built into the canopy. We are planning on doing a 6 bulb fixture. Another one of our friends is working on this right now!

Nice its always good to have friends that are knowledgable in the hobby so much more cost effective in the long run lol

Check Out My Thread I Finally Started It Theres Gonna Be Alot Of Questions In There As I Think Of Them Got Tired Of Highjacking Ppls Threads

Lookin good what kind of paint did u use to paint the rim of the tank and stand ? im thinkin bout painting my stand black as well and im just curious as to what u used

ambowlin

Well, I didn't paint the rim of the tank..it was black when we bought it.
and I used rustoleum oil based paint for the stand.

ambowlin

I have NOT been very good about updating this.
We had a ton of issues come up with our other holding tanks and ended up losing all of our coral... It was terrible, but now that we finally got the canopy on, we're starting to feel better!

Thanks to one of our friends, -- WE HAVE A CANOPY NOW!
He built it in nothing flat (he wouldn't sand it OR paint it for me, he's such a slacker!)
I finally got it sanded and painted, and we were able to put it all together yesterday!
We are running an icecap 430 to power two blue plus bulbs and a 660 to power two aqua blue specials and a pro color.
They all have individual reflectors!
We really like the look.
101_3796.jpg

101_3820.jpg

101_3823.jpg