Our first nano!

Uslanja

We think this is a "Limpet", not sure though.

IMG_0618.jpg

Uslanja

Well, our little tank is just over 2 months old and we conducted our first water change today. The parameters are all good but we thought that just maybe there might be something beneficial to a change. So that is what we did. We have noticed several more brittle star legs hanging out of the rock into the water column where we didn't see brittle star legs before. Hoping thats a good sign!

IMG_1136.jpg

We had a ricordea in our main tank that hasn't been doing very well. It has been wasting away to just about nothing. So we did something we didn't think we would do when we started this tank, we moved the ricordea in to see what happens with it. Hope it will do well!

IMG_1135.jpg

Uslanja

Oh No! We did it again! We stopped at our favorite store "Salt Water Paradise" on Friday evening. We picked up a Nitrite and Nitrate test kit. But, Tracy spotted a piece of rock with what we believe is "Mermaids Shot Glass", or "Mermaids Wine Glass", we're not sure. We had learned earlier that herbivores and omnivores will destroy this tasty little morsel fairly quickly and so we decide to leave the rock behind. But by Sunday we were beside ourselves with desire (OK, I was overcome with desire, Tracy came along for the ride!) and decided to give it a try, and so back over the river we go into the US and pick up the rock.

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

Hope it survives!

Uslanja

A few shots of some type of worm. This little guy created a tube out of substrate that it moves in and out of. It will come quite a way out of its tube, but never leaves it completely. This worm also has what appear to be two eyes and moved back into its tube very quickly! Not sure what type of worm it is?

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

1Reefer

Very interesting worm... I've never seen one like that. Great pics BTW! You guys always have great quality pics showing all that detail.. I can even see his little eyes! Lol

Uslanja

Hi 1Reefer! Stay tuned for more exciting photos from Tracy! A few new hitchhikers have been found and we are still researching what they are. We may need to get help with the Id's here at RS if we can't find info on them.

Uslanja

Hi everyone! We have had our Nano up and running for 2 months now. And we are continually finding new life. This is the latest of the unknown! We have researched Flat Worms, and think that this could possibly be one. However, we don't know if this little guy is friend or foe. He moves relativley fast and completely takes the shape of whatever he is on. He doesn't come out for long periods and as soon as he appears, he is gone just as fast.

2010_0722nanomix0189.jpg

2010_0722nanomix0196.jpg

Last edited:

Uslanja

Everyday brings new life! About a week ago we added another rock that had some nice Macro on it. It turns out that it is host to some new life. These are just a few shots of what we found.

2010_0726newnano0002-copy_edited-1.jpg

2010_0726newnano0016-copy_edited-1.jpg

2010_0726newnano0025-copy_edited-1.jpg

2010_0726newnano0043-copy_edited-1.jpg

those white leg looking things you thought were bristle star legs...I think those may be Digitate Hydroids...Hopefully not they suck for a little while but then dissapear

Uslanja

Hi ReeferMan420! Thanks for pointing us toward the Digitate Hydroids!

Thanks greneis7!

Well, its over!! We had fallen in love (not really love, but a keen appreciation and desire) with a small piece of rock that had "Mermaids Wine Glass" on it. As of this morning it has been completely consumed! That is the way life goes on our little piece of the reef, but all so disappointing. I think I need another coffee and drown my sorrows!

Uslanja

Hi Luke! No the nano is still going and better than we could have wished for, but the rock with the "Mermaids Wine Glass" has been completely eaten clean by something in our tank. We were warned that anything with a herbivore tendency would eat it quick, and it did! So our desire for that macro is officially over. At least in this nano. But, we have been working on something and we're hoping to have a new thread going soon. Stay tuned for many more, and hopefully exciting pictures of our new project!

1Reefer

Whew!! Im glad I misuderstood! Lol I look forward to all the updates to come... and more of your great pictures of course!

Uslanja

Hi Eric! We get a chuckle from your avatar! Nice one!

We're so excited by our new project that we can hardly contain ourselves to show the photos! This certainly is one very captivating and intriguing hobby! Hopefully we get it launched within a week!