Our 37 Gallon Display with 10 Gallon Fuge.

omerojs

Hi Dave and Tracy... awesome pics as always... actually i wanted to ask you about the lenses that you use, i have a Nikon D90 and i am looking at some Macro Lenses but i have no idea about that... i would love to get some input from you!! i know you use extension tubes as well so if you don't mind telling me the reference of the lens and extension tubes so that i could look for something similar for nikon, i would really appreciate it!! btw my name is Jorge!!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dave dude. Ur pics r a revolving door of POTM. Oh wait its ur bride with the mad camera skills, I forget. Just keep em coming. Jeez. Awesome

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

Uslanja

Hi All! Just catching up after a too long absence. Omerojs; we do have a couple of macro lenses but the most used item in our camera bag for macro/closeup shots are our extension tubes. We picked up a set of three different sized tubes that can be used individually or connected together. They can mount on any lens but we use it most on an 18 - 55 MM. The best thing about the extension tubes is that they are not very expensive when compared too buying a lens.

Just a few quick pics to update this chronicle a bit.

IMG_9988_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9979_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9977_edited-1-copy.jpg

IMG_0089_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0092_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0093_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0097_edited-1.jpg

StirCrayzy

Stunning awesome pics as usual!
What is the function of an extension tube? (Technically)
Does the lense farther from the body increase zoom range / clarity?

Uslanja

Hi StirCrazy! That is exactly what an extension tube does, and by doing so it requires us to get closer to the subject to focus and ultimately creates a close up image. But these next snaps were taken with our 60MM and no tubes.

We have removed two of the three power heads that we were using. As well, we have left out the bag of carbon and the pouch of Purigin. We have been having a challenging time with an algae known as Dictoyoto. It has proven to be a very hardy algae and we would definitely like to elliminate it if at all possible. We have researched Dictoyoto many times and have yet to find a definitive method of eradication or control. However, the last time we cleaned our tank we left the carbon and Purigen out and the algae did not make an appearance. After two weeks we returned the carbon and Purigen to our overflow and the Dictoyoto made an impressive re-appearance. We have cleaned the tank again and have not replaced the carbon or Purigen. We will be keeping a close eye on things and if anything looks off we will resume using them. Time will tell if this makes a difference or not. Everything in our tank appeared to be doing well and growing but we haven't been getting as good of an extension or inflation with some of our critters like we see in photos and other tanks. So we have reduced the overall flow rate and will monitor to see what happens.

A couple of small pieces of Montipora Capricornis have fallen to the substrate, They are colouring up nicely and growing. We have no idea what we will do with them.

IMG_0349_edited-2.jpg

IMG_0348_edited-1.jpg

We had to peak around the Pipe Organ to see these mushrooms that are spreading under a rock ledge.

IMG_0357_edited-1.jpg

Something had knocked our Blasto over and when we replaced it to its previous position we discovered a few polyps of the "Demon Clavularia" growing on the rock that it had sat on. Needless to say but that rock has been removed from the tank and the Blasto is now a few inches lower and right on the substrate. We're not sure if it likes being lower in the tank so we're watching this coral fairly closely as well. But we are planning a trip over the border to Salt Water Paradise in a couple of weeks when their rock order arrives, we just might find a replacement rock for the Blasto then.

IMG_0350_edited-1.jpg

dmatt88

Corals look so healthy. Do u dose?

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

Uslanja

Hi Stretch! Thanks for the kind words! The Blasto is one of those corals that we really don't pay any attention to. It is front and center and hardly ever seen! We actually like the look of it on the substrate better than before. If it does well then we will most likely just leave it there.

Hi Gray!!! Folks.... Gary and his wife (we know her name but won't mention it here unless someone else does first) took Tracy and I for a cruise down the Erie Barge Canal last Sunday. It was a fantastic trip!! The captain and first mate welcomed us aboard their luxurious boat and then served us drinks while we lounged in first class, all the while enjoying the cool evening breeze and the dwindling rays of the setting sun while mellowing to tunes from the Zac Brown Band. Absolutely fantastic evening.... Thank You very much to Captain Gary and his first mate!!!!!

Hi Matt! We don't do anything for our corals other than water changes. They get fed when we feed the fish and sometimes we will feed heavy to ensure that everyone gets their share. On second thought, thats not exactly true..... we drip live phyto into the tanks every second day mainly for the filter feeders but also the corals.... so I guess we're dosing? Is that what you meant?

glampka

You forgot to mention the fine wine that you brought - It has quickly become one of our favorites. Thanks again!

dmatt88

Colors are so nice just wondered about calcium or mag. Nice stuff.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

Uslanja

Been a while..... long time actually All my tank contents are up for grabs. Grab your pails, grab your reefing buddies and come get it. I am keeping the equipment but everything alive must go and go fast!! All my tanks are coming down. Contact by pm through here and I'll get back to you ASAP. Just want to re-home my corals, fish, live rock, substrate, crabs, snails, mantis as quickly as possible. Don't want to piece it all out slowly, so get your buddies and come get it!!

StirCrayzy

Been a while..... long time actually All my tank contents are up for grabs. Grab your pails, grab your reefing buddies and come get it. I am keeping the equipment but everything alive must go and go fast!! All my tanks are coming down. Contact by pm through here and I'll get back to you ASAP. Just want to re-home my corals, fish, live rock, substrate, crabs, snails, mantis as quickly as possible. Don't want to piece it all out slowly, so get your buddies and come get it!!

:confused::ponder2::confused::confused::eek::eek:

I wish I lived close enuf to babysit some of those beautiful pcs. Until you guys start back up.