OT: Impossible question

funkpolice

I drew on the backside so I wouldn't get made fun of. My wife is a teacher, so everything in the house is either teacher stuff, or satan stuff. One of these days she's going to grab the beelzebub coffee cup instead of the teacher coffee cup and get in trouble at school.
bill

funkpolice

coincidentally, that answer deserves an A+ cuz it's right. The more I think about it, pretty much every thing I do deserves an A+. I'm going to make an A+ t shirt. I'm frickin awesome!
bill

StirCrayzy

its very close to a solid, but still more like folded paper. Umm yer 90% correct, and i think you would get it if i tell ya to connect a few more dots.
So I'll save ya the ink and scanner wear, and say yer the winner Bill.
Heres the answer.

Attachments

• Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Bad Isometric view.jpg
    Bad Isometric view.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 23

funkpolice

oops, I didn't see the part about it being a solid. Well, I'm sure I saw it, but it didn't register. here's a trivia question for ya.

If one was to construct walls following the coastline of every land mass in the world, then gets some huge pumps and pump all the ocean water over these walls. How high would the walls have to be to contain all the water? Assume the water level is equal in all the "containers" Also pretend that all of the land has been rendered flat, no changes in elevation effecting the water displacement. Feel free to come up with your own explanations as to why and how this happened. I suppose this is really another math problem, but don't be afraid to treat like a trivia and guess away. The answer is in miles.

bill

tektite

Do we have to take into account the ice on the poles? LOL, not that I have any idea how that would change anything :)

I'll randomly guess 50 miles...

funkpolice

I'm not sure, I didn't do the math, I just found the question and answer on the interweb, but judging from the rest of the discussion I think they counted ice caps as water and not land. 50 miles would indeed hold all the water in, but it would be way overkill. Considering the workforce that this project would entail and the money being spent, lets try to build a wall that is just big enough to hold the oceans/lakes +/- a quarter mile.
bill

StirCrayzy

3.5 miles guess.
after some thought, i come up with 62 miles
IF land= 148,300,000km squared / Volume of oceans&seas = 1,500,000,000km cubed
equals 101km or 62 miles

If i screwed this up im done with math problems for a while.

Last edited:

funkpolice

acording to this web site, there are 328 million cubic miles of water. so far the closest is Brenda with 5, still not withing 1/4 of a mile though.