Ordering live stuff through the net

Basile

Anybody ever ordered live fish and critters via the net, i'm tired of being ripped OFF by the locals.....

EX; blue Hippo tang, $73 for a 4 inch on the net
$199 at LFS for a 3 inch
mad02.gif

What was your experience like and do you recommend it, thanks.

DaveK

Since your in Canada you might also have some issues with customs. If someone decides the package needs to be checked out, the delay could wipe out the entire shipment.

The other advantage with your LFS is that you get to see the fish first. If you order online, you get the first thing they can net that meets the basic requirements.

Also, even if the online place guarantees live delivery, they usually limit this to the cost of the item, and don't cover shipping. So if you want a replacement, you'll need to pay for additional shipping.

There are advantages and disadvantages either way. I've done both, but tend to buy "locally". I'm kind of lucky because we do have some decent LFSs and if I'm willing to make a day trip out of it, I can visit Pacific East Aquaculture.

Basile

Since your in Canada you might also have some issues with customs. If someone decides the package needs to be checked out, the delay could wipe out the entire shipment.

The other advantage with your LFS is that you get to see the fish first. If you order online, you get the first thing they can net that meets the basic requirements.

Also, even if the online place guarantees live delivery, they usually limit this to the cost of the item, and don't cover shipping. So if you want a replacement, you'll need to pay for additional shipping.

There are advantages and disadvantages either way. I've done both, but tend to buy "locally". I'm kind of lucky because we do have some decent LFSs and if I'm willing to make a day trip out of it, I can visit Pacific East Aquaculture.

Actually this supplier is in Canada ; from BC and has great price. So an experiment with a small shipment is warranted to see the end results of this method over the incredible price differences.
Thanks for your input .

Pat24601

I've order several corals and fish from Liveaquaria and I was very pleased with the livestock. That being said it's not always cheaper when you add in the shipping cost.

Reef keeping is life!

I've use liveaquaria too. Always been an excellent experience. Not really cheaper, though.

MarbleShark

I've order several corals and fish from Liveaquaria and I was very pleased with the livestock. That being said it's not always cheaper when you add in the shipping cost.

Reef keeping is life!

When I used them before the trick is to order enough to get free shipping. I would get with friends and we would all ship them to one of our house and divy up the spoils.

reefrookie513

There is a strict policy of no guarantees on marine fish and coral at all of my LFS. Also none of them will hold a fish even if paid for while it recovers from shipping. Prices are higher than online and when you think about buying WYSIWYG then you can shop for the exact fish you want at 50 different stores in 1 hours time. No brainer for me but I do have an extensive qt regiment so it doesn't really matter where my fish come from.

chipmunkofdoom2

Actually this supplier is in Canada ; from BC and has great price. So an experiment with a small shipment is warranted to see the end results of this method over the incredible price differences.
Thanks for your input .

If you can find Canadian shippers that will guarantee overnight delivery, I would definitely order online. The only livestock I have which was locally purchased are my three snails.

There are pros and cons to each method. At a fish store, you can actually see the specimen you're buying. As you've noticed, though, you're paying for the store's overhead, so prices can be higher, even when accounting for shipping costs. Some people don't feel comfortable buying something sight-unseen off the Internet, but in fairness to most major US livestock sellers, the specimens they send out are usually in good health.

I would try to find some reviews on the retailer before you buy live animals from them. We're spoiled in the US to have a wealth of both sellers and reviews available, so I can't necessarily speak to your specific situation, but if you can't find good reviews I'd stay away.

Not to threadjack, but I'm definitely with @DaveK on Pacific East Aquaculture. I'm really lucky to have them nearby. I usually do the zone one shipping option, which is a $20 shipping rate if you pick up the package at a UPS distribution center. I can usually get 5 to 6 bargain bin frags for less than $100 shipped if I make the 20 minute trip to my local UPS facility.

dbetts

When I purchased livestock online, I was also very apprehensive. But like you said, it's just so much cheaper. If I'm not mistaken, most places will give free shipping if you order a certain amounts worth. So if you have other things to purchase as well, it can help you get to that magic number. :) When I ordered online, my livestock came in just fine, and are very happy in my tank. I will definitely be purchasing online again. Also, always do a quick search for coupons before buying. You might find a good one!!