Opinions Please !!

chuck116

I decided to go with the iwaki pump . I found an ASM G4 USED . Would you guys think its ok to buy one used providing it does not leak ?are they that dependable ? also it has the 5000 pump . could I upgrade to the 9000 which is offered on the G4+ ? WITHOUT ANY MODS? I also found an etss evolution 750 used and since im getting an external pump are those good skimmers the etss? I could just use the new pump to run the etss? thanks for the imput. Remember its a 180 gallon. thanks again , chuck p

Varga

ETSS are amazing assuming you have extra cash to burn on electricity bills. the pumps to run them use too much power IMO. Stick with RLT and NOT anything else.

I'd say stick with the ASM and do upgrade the pump if you can. ASM g-4 + Sedra 9000 w/MeshMod is what i would do.

good luck :)

DaveK

Iwaki makes two slightly different pumps in this range. The RLT series of pumps are pressure rated. The RLXT pumps provide a higher flow at less pressure.

To answer the original question.

If you go with the ETSS skimmer, you will need a pump with a similar rating to the IWAKI pumps usually supplied.

The ASM G4 skimmer is also good, but I'd rate the ETSS skimmer as a better skimmer, although it will consume more power. IWAKI pumps, except for the very high end ones, are not too bad with power, considering that they are an external pump. Still they will use 2 to 3 times the power of one of those "glorified power head pumps" that are used internally.

chuck116

ok thanks one more question??? If i get the iwaki cant I PLUMB it to be the main pump and just have it run the skimmer also there for only using one pump to run both the skimmer and the the main flow ??

kgross

I would suggest the ASM skimmer myself, Much easier to use than the etss (no extra pressure pump needed), plus it takes a lot less electricity.

Kim