Open brain spitting brown stuff

CAT

I ran into something strange today when I tried to clean up my 12 gallon nano. I have a green open brain in there and it seemed to really object to me putting my hands in the tank. Everytime I went anywhere near it (never touched it) it collapsed partway and spit out some brown, slimy stuff from all the mouths.

It didn't do this when I bought it, transported it or moved it a couple of weeks ago...

Any ideas on what it's doing? Water params are normal. I did dose some DT's this morning and I've seen my bubble coral do this once in a while, but I find it really odd that it's suddenly so sensitive to anything moving around it.

EdgeKrusher

Were your hands clean? Maybe it's stressed due to it's environment. What kind of lighting do you have?Sounds like it's expelling zooanxthaline, JMO.

nigle

Oi!

It's a good chance that it is actually spitting out and 'stuff' that it has eaten and what you saw was 'poop'. It is also a chance that it could be stressing about something but it was probably just expelling waste. Corals do that sometimes [actually they do that all the time but WE are not looking at them all the time.]

If it is not looking bad in another way, I wouldn't worry about it. it's just getting rid of waste.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

CAT

Well, it's fat and sassy again. I figured it was waste since I've seen my bubble do that... Just found it weird that it reacted so strongly by deflating and 'pooping' when i got near it.

Hey Edge, I always were gloves in the tank - my skin doesn't like salt water :rolleyes: :D