Oleo's RSM130d..starting from zero.

Oleo1975

So did a 10% water change and added a few more # of LR. Moved some stuff around in the tank and just am confused with this dare anemone...He look like he is getting worse :( He is shedding a bit more an now it's effecting clarity. On the edge of pulling him out.
Sorry for the poor pic, family was using the good camera for holiday stuff...the nerve.
2013-12-25153904_zpsf20ad3de.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All parameters are still good (0,0,0,8.2, 1.024).

ziggy

Nano, So If I understand correctly. Today my Ammonia is at zero and Nitrite are at zero, However my Nitrates (NO3)are still climbing, so I should do a water change and i'm good to add one fish and one coral? Sorry this is all Greek to me.....

Correct - Clean up Crew (CUC) with snails and a pepermint shrimp go in now

Oleo1975

Thanks Goma. I was going to do that last night; it seemed like that forum had no activity for years.

But I will give it a shot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oleo1975

To be honest if you are really thinking about the switch the time is now. Before your cycle! Before Hundreds in Coral and Hundreds in Livestock. A $45ish dollar bag of sand! Trust me I said rinse and rinse and rinse because I was so afraid of throwing my tank into another cycle when making the switch. I ended up using 25 gallons of RO water to do final rinsing of the sand after using a garden house to do the intial rinsing of sediment. Just my opinion not trying to tell you to do it. My tank is less than a year old and I am learning new and great things here on a Daily basis from ALL of these great educated and trial by fire people!:fingerx:

What do you think about adding Reef Substrate and just mixing it in with the Fiji pink? Think that would give me a "top coat" to keep down the fine particles but not require me to clean out the entire tank? I was thinking maybe this stuff: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+9805+16765&pcatid=16765

Oleo1975

So it's been awhile, started a new job and lost some of my freedom that I had before :) But to the task at hand. Tank has been doing very well. I added a mower blenny, turbo snail and 3 Nassau snails few weeks ago(I already had 2 clowns and 10 hermits) and pushed my water change to bi-weekly and levels are doing good. However during my water change last night I cleaned the glass and decided to stir up the sand a bit and it was hard. Really hard, to the point that after i stirred it up it looked like old sugar that had gotten too much humidity? Any thoughts?

Oleo1975

CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand, I found a post on another site with some good info, wondered if anyone here had seen a similar problem?:
from http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html
Rapid bacterial growth rates only occur without competition for space or nutrients. As the bacterial populations fill in all the open spaces growth slows and may stop altogether. Some bacteria also secrete a exterior covering called a "glycocalyx." These glycocalices are made of a hard sugar-like material similar in consistency to rock candy. Rapid bacterial growth may produce so enough of this material to glue sediments together. These sediment lumps may be glued so tightly together that hammering is needed to break them apart. In much reef literature, these lumps are said to be caused by calcium carbonate or calcium phosphate precipitation. Such mineral precipitation is rare; if a small sediment lump is placed in a weak solution of household chlorine bleach, it breaks down to the component sediment grains in a short time. If the lumps were formed from the calcium salts, they would not dissociate in the bleach.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looks like Red Cyanobacteria....if it's just located in one area, could be you need to have more water flow there.
Are you running any extra powerheads besides the RSM 130 return flow pumps?
If it's all over all areas of your sand bed you may have too many nutrients in your water. Test your parameters.
It's usually easy to kinda roll it up on the sand bed and siphon out all you can during WC.
You might need to cut back on feeding.
(I've got some in my refugium right now & I'm pretty certain that it's from not enough water flow...getting an additional powerhead in tomorrow's mail.)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

new tanks (less then 6 months old) seem to go through a bit of it, you can go lights on for only 4 hours a day for a few days too, run fresh cpe & purigen, make sure you keep up wc (10-15% weekly), increase cuc, increase flow, siphon and don't overfeed are all keys

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looks like an Aiptasia nem too me....if so, you need to KILL IT.
They tend to multiply rapidly so get some Aiptasia-X or Joe's Juice or something along the lines to zap it out ASAP.

Oleo1975

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I can't get to it for a few days...grrrrr. should have removed it when I first saw it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No worries, it'll still be there, just kill it when you can.