Okay okay I know what the final verdict will be

adamp377

So last night I was looking around the tank and noticed once my yellow tang turned to the side there are all these little white speckles on his body. I am sure its ich and will start the hospitalization of him and my clowns this weekend but something is still throwing me off from confirming that it is ich.

The suspect spots are only visible under the actinics and looking at the tang face to face or slightly at an angle. I can not see the specks if I am looking at his body flush side ways or if all the lights are on or off. I tried to catch a picture of it but with the weird angles that the spots are viewable I couldnt ever get one.

When the specks are viewable it looks like table salt stuck to his body. I really cant tell if they are white or clear but as said above they are only really visible at angles with the actinics on.

These specks are not(or yet to be) visible on my clowns or pink spotted goby.

Please help...

adamp377

I did recently have two big turbo snails die in the tank and went un-noticed until a couple days I removed them and tested for the ammonia, there were traces of ammonia but I have since done a water change and tested again and levels are back down to 0. could this be the cause of the mystery spots? Any help recommendations is appreciated

I am guessing they died from lack of food, about a month ago I got a clean up crew from reef cleaners and since their arrival the tank has been spotless.

Thank you

adamp377

Am I doing something wrong to get some kind of response around here? I try to do my research before posting but seems like anytime I need a legitimate question answered I get all these views and no response. Now I if I were to post something off the wall and silly like I have seen around here I would have all 27 responses to the views I have received.

Is no one responding because no one has experienced this, I realize pictures are worth a thousand words but I have been unsuccessful in getting a pic will try again later. Sorry for the rant but this is driving me nuts cause all the pictures and research I do none look like what I have described above...

This is an edited post

I have/had no intentions for the above comments to offend/criticize anyone or flame the forum its a great source of information and is my #1 go to source just a little on edge cause I am sitting here at work and all I can think about are these fish at home and me not being able to do anything at this time other than to look for answers. Once again sorry... and thanks for any input

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I don't have any answers, but expecting to get all kinds of replies within 2 hours of posting is a bit too much to expect I think. It's also a work day and a lot of folks aren't in the forum at this time.

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 it might take a little while. For your sake I wish I could help, for my own I'm glad I haven't had to experience it. From your OP I got the impression you've seen the links in the disease forum on how to proceed for ich and quarantining, that is all I could offer.

I understand your frustration, but I don't think flaming the forum will get you much help. I'm sure it's just the frustration, concern and helplessness coming out.

KARussell88

Yeah I can't help you but if its ich you really should have any trouble finding information anywhere about it. There should be stickies on this site about diseases.
All I can say is I had a blue tang that would always get ich, but all my cleaner shrimp would pick them off overnight. He doesn't get ich anymore though.

adamp377

Yeah, I have seen the stickies I just went during my lunch break and picked up a hospital tank and some cupramine so I will hospital my fish just for my ease of my mind. Sorry for jumping the gun this is just my first out break or any kind of mishap within my tank and it drives me nuts

bshady

if possible add cleaner shrim (skunk shrimp) to your tank they are great for eating parasites and ick of your fish. Clowns are very hardy and usually never get ick. Im sure your yellow tang has ick but hard to say without a pic.

Last edited:

adamp377

Thank you every one for the responses, I am in the process of treating with cupramine.

The tang which showed the "spots" hasnt shown any signs of flashing or scratching, still eats(allott) the only sign it has shown was the spots which aren't visible all the time. All the research I have done I have yet to come across anything that describes or looks like what my tang was experiencing, this is really bugged me as I dont want to keep my fish in the hospital tank but then at the same time better safe than sorry...

I know that with cupramine you are not suppose to use any other medications but does anyone know if I can feed the fish vitamin C soaked food?

leebca

Vitamin and fat supplements aren't considered to be medication. They can be used liberally in the foods you feed.

Having the right diagnosis is very important to a successful outcome. If you are unsure, then posting clear pictures here may help others help you.

johnmaloney

it may be velvet, that is often mistaken for ich. over simplified, velvet is smaller than ich and a little more yellow

adamp377

Well it was a sad day yesterday I got a call from my wife while I was on my way home from work saying that Lyle our (yellow tang) was laying on his side in the hospital tank. He was dead by the time I got home... I checked him over and there were no visible spots on him all other fish are doing fine and not showing any signs of any kind of disease/parasite. Not sure what went wrong I checked on him yesterday morning before I left for work and he was fine/swimming around he was eating fine the night before.

Thank you for everyone's help