Oh lordy lord, worst nightmare possibly?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I've been very happy the last few days at I started to notice the growth in my new tank is taking off, tree coral is growing strong, couple of zoas frags are definitely happy, starting to notice little creatures that crawl around when the light goes out. Then it happens :tears: I lost one the outer piece of the magnet for one of my power heads, so I replaced it by this huge overweight piece of magnet, it does a fine job holding up the powerhead as long as nothing touches it. So I was scrubbing the front glass today when I accidentally and barely touched the power head, it moved a bit and as the result the magnet on the outside fell off, bounced against the cupboard that the tank is right next to and crack the tank:tears: :tears: :tears:. It is not horribly bad, but it is leaking, a few droplets would accumulate around the cracks after couple of hour. I've emailed just about anybody that I found on Craigslist in the radius of 2hrs drive in effort to find a tank, mean while there is about an inch thick of silicone over the crack. Wish me luck gents :(
That stinks~

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Glad to hear you are getting it taken care of.

That was a nasty crack that would have had me all stressed out worrying it would burst.

Eric

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
What kind of fish is that?

I must say you got off easy, I just replied to a post on another forum and the ladies 95 gallon wave tank burst for no apparent reason this morning. She lost everything not to mention thousands of dollars damage to her house.

I pray I never come downstairs to find an empty tank. My 150 FW planted has something going on in the lower right corner but it's not a crack or chip just a flaw in the glass "I think" I check it daily but it hasn't change since I got the tank 6-8 months ago. Still it make me paranoid and I half want to tear it down so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Eric

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't understand the toss the sand theory, worst case put 5 pounds in a bucket rinse it and repeat till you have completed the task. Even if you reuse the sand as is, it's only going to leach out what in the top layer, get the skimmer running, get some cheap salt, and do a water change or two. You will see soon enough that the levels are back to normal. The "nasty stuff" is amongst the sand, the sand doesn't absorb it so wash it away and reuse the sand.

I don't want to hijack the thread but that is very wasteful and expensive advice. I personally just reuse with out any issues, most of the time levels are good and livestock returned to the tank with in 24hours. The only way I wouldn't reuse the sand is if it was a play sand or sand box sand but assuming it's aquarium sand have at.

My .02
Eric

Krabby2k

phewww! it's done. I did everything exact to plan, and after all the test came out looking decent, I slowly put everything back in. This whole ordeal was very time consuming but it does have it bright sides, I've found my hob overflown has minor leak issue, and I now have a scratch free tank, and I"ve always wanted to redo my rockwork for stability. So here how it currently stands, my 5 damsels seem happy, (phone pics)
dd30c6df.jpg

Zoas already opened back up.
3e3eb851.jpg

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Looks very nice!

I still think you should have tossed that sand and bought new? :p

Eric

sambrinar

I love the scape.. looks great!! Good luck

I don't understand the toss the sand theory, worst case put 5 pounds in a bucket rinse it and repeat till you have completed the task. Even if you reuse the sand as is, it's only going to leach out what in the top layer, get the skimmer running, get some cheap salt, and do a water change or two. You will see soon enough that the levels are back to normal. The "nasty stuff" is amongst the sand, the sand doesn't absorb it so wash it away and reuse the sand.

I don't want to hijack the thread but that is very wasteful and expensive advice. I personally just reuse with out any issues, most of the time levels are good and livestock returned to the tank with in 24hours. The only way I wouldn't reuse the sand is if it was a play sand or sand box sand but assuming it's aquarium sand have at.

My .02
Eric

mute point now but... Not sure how you get.. "only gonna leach out in the top layer".. you suck out the sand... all of it.. not just the top layer.. you have stirred up all the gases muck and junk, stuck it in a bucket.. hope you rinsed it well enough and put it back into a new tank... dumping it in.. spreading it across the tank... not just the top layer

If you haven't rinsed it well enough, then you risk losing more than just the sand.. $27 for 40lbs is cheap in my opinion rather than nuking the tank an maybe losing all the livestock

Looks very nice!

I still think you should have tossed that sand and bought new? :p

Eric

Might want to wait a week or two before deciding that

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'll put my money on it will be fine. I have done this same thing several times with fully stocked tanks and never tossed the sand.

Just my .02 I will say no more about it on this thread.

The tanks looks great, watch your levels, water change as needed, and enjoy.

Eric

sambrinar

I'll put my money on it will be fine. I have done this same thing several times with fully stocked tanks and never tossed the sand.

Just my .02 I will say no more about it on this thread.

The tanks looks great, watch your levels, water change as needed, and enjoy.

Eric

Deal!! LOL the tank does look good that we can agree on :D

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Let's put it this way, I would never give you or anyone advice that could potentially crash their tank.

Ditto the above, nothing to settle I was just throwing in a little friendly ribbing for thanksgiving in my previous post :) I shouldn't be giving advice anyways I don't even have a reef tank lol I have a 150 RR freshwater planted though lol it's the same right? :( Seriously though I have been around not an expert or a know it all by any means I just share what I know and if I don't know I will be the first to admit it.

I really do like the rock work, you probably have your tank stock posted in your signature but I can't view it. So what's in that tank?

Eric

r2d2

DAMsels..... :stars: :dryer: :maddown:

I glad to know that a posible tragedy was avoided promtly. Congratulations!

Krabby2k

Let's put it this way, I would never give you or anyone advice that could potentially crash their tank.

Ditto the above, nothing to settle I was just throwing in a little friendly ribbing for thanksgiving in my previous post :) I shouldn't be giving advice anyways I don't even have a reef tank lol I have a 150 RR freshwater planted though lol it's the same right? :( Seriously though I have been around not an expert or a know it all by any means I just share what I know and if I don't know I will be the first to admit it.

I really do like the rock work, you probably have your tank stock posted in your signature but I can't view it. So what's in that tank?

Eric

Thanks Eric, you've been very helpful through out this ordeal. I have a 55g with a 35g sump/fuge, 175mh with 2 VHO artinic. All I have in the tank right now is a red and green zoans frag, probably 20+ head each and spreading relatively quick, a shroom, ric, couple of tree coral, two head of candy cane coral and 5 yellow tail damsels. And I just got this done!

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Sounds like a you have a nice set up, I can't wait to get mine started. :)

Eric

Krabby2k

It's been a week since the old sand went in the new tank so I thought I would give the thread an update. Everything is going really good, I'm very happy with the growth right now. To be honest, if I had a true DSB I wouldn't risk it, but like I've reasoned, my sand wasn't old since the tank wasn't up and running for that long. But anyway, a pic is worth a thousand word but a vid has a lot more so here it is.
YouTube - 55g

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Glad to here it is going well!

I have had some good luck with my FW planted it finally cleared, it has been so green you couldn't see more than 6" into the tank for about 2 months ;(. The reason it was like that is I used mineralized top soil capped with gravel and when you add dirt to a tank it has so much excess nutrients the plants cannot absorb it all so the algae bloom starts. It doesn't effect the plants or fish but it's not very appealing visually. Anyways I thought I would share my tank is now crystal clear, lol had to tell somebody ;)

Soon I hope to have my 65 reef on it's way but one tank at a time ;) I really want to get a 150 or larger for saltwater fish only down the road. I just have to talk my better half into it. Never an easy task ;)

Well I am out of here, I have been playing the old Zelda ocarina of time this evening/morning so it's time to hit the sack.

Eric