Odd Looking Crab... ID Help Needed

DanSReef

OK. I need everyone's help. I found a small (about half the size of your small finger's nail) crab-like creature crawling among the rock in my new 92. It is brown and rather flat... definitely not a snail. It definitely had short milipede like legs... The rear of the creature looks like a two pronged pitchfork... I tried to get a picture and was both too slow... and have a camera that just could not get close enough... in the depth of field to show something so small.

I would like to know all possible ideas. I am concerned if it is something that could attack any of my corals... or future fish.

DanSReef

I know... it was too fast... and I am too slow...:smack: Thanks for the link... I will look through it.

DanSReef

It looks like Isopods... Not 100% sure which one.... What is encouraging it looks like it...they are feeding on algae on the rocks. Yes I said they.... I sat here watching my tank for a good hour...my 8 year old daughter was having a birthday party... My wife said I was hiding in my office... I was looking for more of these and trying to get pictures to no avail..... To be honest ...I was trying to keep my sanity while 15 eight year old girls ran, screamed and invaded my house...

Anyway, I did observe at least three of these Isopods feeding on the algae on the rocks. After some googling, I found that this can be common in new tanks with algae blooms. These Isopods can multiply and grow....but are mostly gone in a few months when their food source is long gone...

I will need to continue to obeserve over the next several weeks as some types of Isopods can be parsidic. Hopefully not this variety!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Melevsreef.com - Isopod

safe_isopod.jpg