octopuses

Cougra

Octopii require a specialized tank to live in. They are very intellegent creatures and will figure out a way to escape just about any confined area. They are very strong and can lift the tops of tanks off, so the cover will need to be fastened down. They can also fit through the tiniest cracks so those will all need to be sealed. There are very difficult to keep in a tank and most often perish from attempting to escape.

The size of the tank require will depend on the species, however they need large areas and a large volume of water so the parameters remain stable.

They are great predators and will kill and eat pretty much any tankmate they have.

When stressed they can release a noxious ink into the water, requiring an immediate water change or they will perish due to sudden degradation of water quailty.

They have a fairly short lifespan of a couple years at most.

Although very fasenating, Octopii are one of the creatures that should remain in wild instead of confined within a small tank. there are very few facilities that are capable of keeping them alive for any real length of time. I highly recommend that you reconsider attempting to keep one of these very intellegent escape artists!

mick77

Great info Cougra! I don't think there's anything else to add. Oh yeah, if you do get one, don't get a blue ringed octopus. They're very small, but are one of the most venomous creatures alive.

Gina

RS STAFF
A good place to get all the information you would need is Tomno.com. It is an octo forum. But, Michelle gave you some real good advice.

How many tanks do you plan on having? I see you have another thread in the off topic wanting sting rays also.

proud2bcanadian

lol i can tell you that ive heard that before

from my parents that is

the store owners/employees all think im like 18 :columbo: :p

but im up to it

ive loved fish for a long time and i feel that i have enough responsability to start a marine aquarium... (obviously IMO)

if you havent looked at my other posts, im actually also starting a freshwater stingray and florida gar (or ram lol i can never remember which one it is) aquarium... i'll be starting this one sooner than the marine, since the marine costs a lot more!

proud2bcanadian

lol... i wish...

i still have to finish making all the money... which is going to probably take 2 months! lol

i guess its worth it. look at the rewards!

Crakeur

don't keep the two tanks in the same room.

a few years ago there was a story in the NY times about a guy who had a fresh water tank on one side of his room and a salt water tank on the other. In the salt tank he had an octopus.

He started noticing missing fish in the fresh tank but no corpses. he took apart the aquascaping to find the remains but found none. Finally, in an act of desperation, he set up a camera to film the tank, with the hopes of finding out where his freshwater fish were disappearing to.

What he got was a tape of his octopus climbing out of the tank, walking across the room and climbing up into the fresh tank, snagging a meal and heading back out to the salt tank.

Not sure how long ago this was but it was a hell of a story.

Brucey

Crak .......... Now that is amazing. Hope my SW Mantis doesn't give it a go and wreck my Cichlid tank .... if they start going missing I know where to look first
Brucey

Tarasco

I remember hearing about that story also. Octopii are pretty smart. I have a friend that keeps asking if he can buy me one, just to see what it'll do in my tank. He knows that I won't take it, but likes to joke. ;)

ScottT1980

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I want to see the tape! I wouldn't be suprised, after watching a few discovery specials on the cephlopods, they seem to be smarter than a few people I know (sometimes I even wonder about myself).

Take er easy
Scott t.

Crakeur

yeah, I want to see the tape too. I've toyed with the idea of an octopus for years but I think it's a bit of a waste to set up a tank to hold an animal that normally lives less than a year in captivity. They aren't cheap and you are going to replace them way too often.

Cougra

That's awesome. I've done a fair bit of research on them as I was fasenated with them for a while and had illusions of setting up a tank for one as well. I hadn't heard that story before, but I have seen studies that demenstrated how easily they could go through obsticals to find some prey including figuring out how to opening jars and latches.

Curtswearing

IMO Octopi belong in the ocean. They require PRISTINE water conditions and most of us cannot provide that environment. As was previously mentioned, they do not live long in captivity so I think that we shouldn't keep them.

I do want to relay a funny story (as best I remember it) I heard about octupi----

There were some marine biologists who were studying octopi and they had one in a big tank in their lab. They were trying to study courtship, hunting habits, etc.

They were also studying some marine fish and had a tank set up in the same lab. A couple times per week, a fish would go missing. No bodies...no skeletons...no increase in Ammonia or Nitrates. Just gone.

They hid a video camera to find out who was stealing their fish. It could have been a guard, the maintenance crew, etc. They were very surprised when they viewed the tape in the morning. The Octopus saw the fish across the room, climbed out of his tank....ran across the floor...grabbed a fish....ran back to it's tank and ate it. By the time people came in the next day, the water had dried on the floor and/or the maintenance crew mopped it up (I don't recall which).

I don't know if this story is true as not everything you read on the internet is true. However, I thought it was funny so I thought I would share.