Oceanic 30 cube In wall OVER THE TOP.

MHAR

I just found this build, very cool!

Funny but I'm in the middle of putting a 60 gal cube in my wall and am having some different thoughts on how to finish the outside wall around the tank.

How did you account for the extra space created by the top and bottom plastic frame on your tank?

Mine sticks out about 3/8" and I'd like to frame it just like you did so the glass appears to be flush with the wall.

Thanks for any help you can give!

well first.. I tryed using the drimel tool and just going into the inside of the frame where the plastic rim would sit inside and the wood would be directly hitting the glass.

after about 10 minutes. Seeing how much I got done. made a small calculation in my head and just decided to go another rought. ended up just cutting the plastic rim on the top and bottom. just flush with the glass, I left the bottom piece and the top (rim) but the plastic is all gone from the "front"

yes the bottom piece is a bit flimsly now, I just made sure it was in place then filled up.. Logically I cant see how this would pose a problem in the long run.. atleast with only 30g... but I destroyed the resale value of the cube.

and it apears to be directly on the glass. if you look up closely in person, you can see its actually sitting just a bit off of it on the sides. This is due to the fact that I have only about 1'' of the 3'' wide frame that I can nail (because its sitting on the drywall with wood behind it, the other 2'' are over the tank.

Ive accepted this small imperfection.. its very minimal and really enless you are really trying to find it, youll never see it. the only way I can really think of solving thi problem is a thin coat of epoxy that will stick the wood to the glass.

its so minute that I havnt really gave it any thought though.

and just an update.

Still no camera.

got some juicy items on the way though.

MP10 is one of them :)

RC salt is used all up, so Ill be switching to IO and getting my twin doser unit set up now.

building a new sump and finishing some electrical work this week, that includes my DIY ATO... FINALLY! the sound of a gurgling return pump hits me like an alarm clock beeping at 7am. (CRINGE!!!!)

bwhit1406

Very Very nice! I knew by the Control panel picture you had to be an Electrician. Are you a member of the IBEW by any chance?

never heard of it. Im not the... hrmm.... "Go out and do stuff electrician"... The plant I work for is 24/7 non stop projects and installs. Lot of juicy PLC action..

good stuff.

some operators ask me to do side residential jobs.. they ask "can you do it" I tell them go open up one of our 8foot control cabinets. they look just about like the box, except the box is old school tech. I seriously thought about throwing an old PLC pico controller in it... yah.

bwhit1406

never heard of it. Im not the... hrmm.... "Go out and do stuff electrician"... The plant I work for is 24/7 non stop projects and installs. Lot of juicy PLC action..

good stuff.

some operators ask me to do side residential jobs.. they ask "can you do it" I tell them go open up one of our 8foot control cabinets. they look just about like the box, except the box is old school tech. I seriously thought about throwing an old PLC pico controller in it... yah.

IBEW is the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. I work on the PLC's and controls for Rollercoasters at an amusement park. What kind of plant do you work for?

concentrate dye PET and Nylons. majority of our product gets used for carpet.

lots of machines, most out of thier prime. Lot of trouble shooting, mainly electrical. would be nice if everything was PLC, but when you got old school series E-stop circuits, or static wiping out controllers.. 3 years.. few problems I ever see new.

bwhit1406

Very cool I love troubleshooting. I like the Oceanic 30, I have one setup next to my tank as a Fuge. How has the Euro Reef been working out for you? I am thinking of going with one when i redo my sump.

bwhit1406

Yep I work for the Gardens. Pm me if you ever have some frags to sell/trade since your local. I got some Kenya tree right now

yeah im gonna have to say " one hell of a setup. i was just dumbfounded looking at it. kinda wish i had went into engineering rather than learning how to stick my arm up a cow @ss. guess that is what you get when you work and live in the corn belt. the closest engineering school is about 200 miles away. closest farm. about 1 mile. LOL!!!! could i get some advice on how to do some of the simple mods that you did. im pretty handy just dont know how things are suppose to be done on diy stuff.

sorry for the wait. FTS here. and for the record, I am 5'9. I have a tall ceiling.

IMG_0030.jpg