Ocean water?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am sure some do but that's VERY risky... you never really know what's just up stream from you.. some company could be dumping some junk in there... in the ocean the currents distribute a lot of "bad" stuff around but in your tank it doesn't take much to really mess you up. I wouldn't risk it with My tanks.

Allen :)

I know of a reef store in Daytona Beach, FL that does. Everything looked pretty healthy which kinda surprised me because I don't think of Daytona's water as "pristine".

prow

you can use it. dont get it from close to shore. aside from possibly adding oil and or other things from rain run off, depending on where you get it the bacteria makeup will differ from your tanks corals/fish/bac ect..and your livestock might not be able to deal with these foreign things.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I don't use it but wish I could there's really nothing like NSW. If you plan to do some collecting it's important to find a good collection area where there's no FW runoff or pollution. If you could collect it off the coast it would be even better. The vast majority of Portuguese reefers use NSW with great results.

Frans

Ocean water was all I used for years in my first tank. At least once a month my dad and I would hook up boat the and head from Boca (Located in Florida). We'd go our about 3 to 4 miles. He'd fish and I would fill up a lined 32gal trash can, pull in some seaweed, shake out the small fish, and then bring it on home. :)

I must admit, we had some interesting fish. Mostly puffers, which I would trade out at our local fish stores. .

burning2nd

i beleave there 2 be no such thing as "pristine" anymore but on the other side of that, you can introduce parasite, virus, or some other bad thing....

exsample, about 5 months ago i get some sand from FL beach, thought just drying it out and cleaning it well would be good enough.
turns out in introduced Pyamid snails parasite, wasnt hard to deal with, really (due to the size of my tank) but i could imagein that something else could really sux, in a larger tank where you couldnt get to all the snails to clean.

its a toss up, your safer just buyin it new

CATALYST

Thanks everyone. It's just kills me that I live by the beach and I'm buying water. I like my tank critters so I'll stick with the clean water. I don't have a way to go boating.

burning2nd

buying water???

or mixing water?
are you useing a rodi and mixing your own salt? (IMo thats your best bet)

HowardW

Thanks everyone. It's just kills me that I live by the beach and I'm buying water. I like my tank critters so I'll stick with the clean water. I don't have a way to go boating.

That's easy........just get about 25 miles of 1/2" tubing and a good powerhead, and you can then pump in your own seawater from offshore whenever you need it :whstlr:

My LFS brings In ocean water, $2.50 for 5gal. Quick and easy but the only problem Is the SG Is around 1.028 and Iv even got It at 1.030. So I allways have to dillute It with some RO. Can become a pain but thats the price you have to pay for when it comes to quick and easy.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If I lived by the Ocean I wouldn't hesitate to use NSW. I don't see how ASW is safer or better as not only are they unbalanced there's plenty of threads throughout the reefing boards of total loss due to problems with salts. Just a couple of years ago there was that fiasco with IO.

rDr4g0n

guys, i hate to break it to ya, but when i got swimming in the ocean, i kinda pee sometimes. so yeah. you dont want that in your tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
guys, i hate to break it to ya, but when i got swimming in the ocean, i kinda pee sometimes. so yeah. you dont want that in your tank.

:LOL: I just spit my freshly baked choco-chip cookie all over my keyboard and monitor here! Literally! You got me on that one rDr4g0n!!

Allen

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

Dude you should be ashamed of yourself...:lol:
That's alright fish pee all the time and it doesn't harm the corals.

CATALYST

The farthest out to sea I can get is the end of the pier. I suppose I could test it. Do you think high tide would be better?

stevenw56

I live half mile from the ocean in east central Florida. I've thought about using ocean water but decided against it. A few times a year here they give bathers warnings about high bacteria count and at times even prohibit swimming. The high bacteria (fecal) comes from all the shore birds on the beach. Seagulls, pelicans, egrets, sandpipers etc. droppings.

I'm sure at most times the water is fine but it just takes the one time it's not to mess things up. Maybe if I had a boat and got it from the gulf stream I wouldn't worry. But taking it from the shore area is to risky IMO.

Like one of the other posters in this thread said a local marine shop here in Daytona Beach uses it and they grow there own corals and there stuff looks great. They also sell it for $1 a gallon. They must get it offshore I would think.

vdituri

I'm going to look for my doppleganger on the portuguese reef site.
Maybe I'm funnier in portuguese?:whstlr: