not to be a pest but........

bandr1002

the color seems to have drastically altered in a matter of four days!!!!

below are two pics of my rbta, the first was taken four days ago, the second was taken only moments ago. it has not moved since i put it in the tank, and i just fed it a piece of silver side successfully, should i be worrying?

rbta1.jpg

rbtaday4.jpg

bandr1002

guess i should explain my tank.
75gal, with a 29 fuge, aqua c remora skimmer (not on at the moment, medicating with melafix)
6 @ 54 watt t5 lights, he is just over half way up the tank, in a moderate flow area.

ammonia 0, nitrites and nitrates 0.
sg .0124, ph 8.4, and CA is at 440

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Honestly, I thought the BTA looked bleached when I saw the picture. Pink is not a color they come in, so I was expecting it to change, just not sure to what. Orange is a color, so is red, or could be bleaching more. Feeding it will help a bleached anemone make it through. It's the only time I feed a nem several times a week

DrHank

I wouldn't be too worried. It still looks healthy. I suspect that it is just acclimating. It is likely to look different in your tank than it did in the tank it came from. It also appears to have expelled some of the water in it's tentacles (also normal). Give it a few days and see how it looks. Also, I wouldn't feed it more than 1 medium sized silverside or equivalent one or two times a week. You can kill them with kindness by overfeeding. I feed my anem once a week.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I thought it looked bleach in your original post. A red BTA looks that color bleached. Time will tell, but cnidarians will adapt to new conditions and change color. BTAs come in Red, Orange (variant of Red, considered Red), Green, and of course brown/tan. I saw one purpleish one once, so you never know. Which is why I did not say anything. Soak the food in selcon, keep good lighting, and give it some time. I usually don't consider myself past acclimation of a BTA for a couple of months. They do everything in slow motion

DrHank

Everything that clownfish has said is right on the money. Just give it some time and keep an eye on it. Oh yes, I almost forgot, relax:chair: . Remember, the hobby is supposed to be fun not stress.

bandr1002

Oh yes, I almost forgot, relax:chair: . Remember, the hobby is supposed to be fun not stress.

not really to stressed, i just wanted to make sure i am not bringing it to a harmful place. if there is one thing that i have learned about stressing out, it's this.......... stressing out only causes you to constantly spend cash on crap you never really needed in the first place.

thanks clownfish, i always thought of bleached things of the ocean being lighter in colour, not darker.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Look at it this way. BTAs have two tyoes of symbiotic algae, zooxanthellae, brown algae which is familiar to everyone. And zoochlorellae, green algae which is less common but present in BTAs.

Bleaching happens when they expel the algae. So if you remove green pigments and/or brown pigments, you get a different color. Not white in BTAs, because white+green+brown do not make red or orange.

I got a tan BTA about a month ago, which can be a normal color. It looked very healthy like yours. Now, it is a very bright green, a pleasant surprise

We'll see what color it wants to be in a few weeks. Please keep us posted

Silversides or any fish are not a big part of a diet for most of the anemones that we keep. H.mag, and S.hadoni may be the exceptions, and even then, fish arent the biggest part of their diet. Small plankton(without bones) is a better diet for them. Mysis shrimp and cyclop-eeze is also good to feed.