Not Running a Protein skimmer.

I was wondering whats the key to the success of these reef tanks? Is it just frequent water changes? because right now im not running a Protein skimmer and i would like to try and run my system without one. If anyones currently not using a skimmer ide love to hear from you.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
  • A) Being on TOP of your game and knowing what your tank is doing and needs by more or less just observing
  • B) Being on top of your game
  • C) Knowing what your tank is doing and needs by more or less just observing
    :LOL:
  • D) Water changes
  • E) Light stocking
  • F) Mindful and planned feeding

It's mot impossible to do nor is it really that HARD to do but a skimmer works HARD 24/7 and gives you a good cushion of security in regards to water quality. Some people have NEVER ran a skimmer and have amazing tanks. Some people run AMAZING skimmers and have a tank barely surviving. A skimmer won't take the place of good husbandry but it goes a LONG ways to getting you ahead of the game.

waucedah_joe

I do not run a skimmer. I do not do water changes. I rely on an algae scrubber for nutrient export. My tank may not be a model of growth but it is clean and healthy. Reduced maintenance allows me to enjoy the tank more.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent deal Joe. Your tank just goes to show that what works for one tank may or may not work for another. I'm all for "keeping it simple" :)

I do not run a skimmer. I do not do water changes. I rely on an algae scrubber for nutrient export. My tank may not be a model of growth but it is clean and healthy. Reduced maintenance allows me to enjoy the tank more.

I was debating on going with an algea scrubber but im not comfortable setting one up because i have no idea if ill set it up right. Right now im doing 5g water changes every Wed and Sunday on my 72 G Bow with 90lbs of LR and about 2.5 inches of Sand. I figured 5G twice a week should be enough, we shall see.

DaveK

Algae scrubbers have a lot of latitude on exactly how you set them up. Also, you really can't go wrong. Unlike some other kinds of equipment, an algae scrubber isn't going to do anything bad to the tank if it's not set up quite right. So there is no reason you can't use one.

AJK

I was told, depends on size of tank and how much tank is stocked with. For smaller fowlr tanks like mine, skimmer is not necessary. Water testing would verify, what equipment is needed :)

Blndbunny

I don't run a skimmer in my 14g. I have not had any issues with it at this point, however I do have cheato in my fuge for nutrient export and I replace my filter floss every 2-3 days. My bio-load is two small fish and a maxi mini nem, and tons of corals

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

How do you maintain proper water chemistry without doing W/C's, are you dosing anything ?