Not ich.. but what can it be?

malau

Hi, Im new here (searched from google) anyway hope it is not too late to ask the question ...

What happened was I did a water change 2 days ago which the water is natural sea water (nsw) I collected on Sat. Then on Monday when I had a close look my clown fishes one of the fishes seems got the white spot. However the "difference" is if it is not in bright light area, you cannot see anything at all (as they have black body color) but if there is some lights you can see some milky/semi transparent or even white spot on the body.

When I moved them to QT Monday and used the water from the same source I found there are many tiny jelly fishes swimming around (in QT) however on the day when I did my water changes I can only see one in the tank. The jelly fishes are around 1mm diameter and hard to see... I saw one clown ate the jelly fish too.Today I am using asw (artificial) instead...

Moreover it seems that part of the tail fin losing color? and I saw a white string attached it's front fin and sometimes it may "unattached"...

I think I can see some transparent/milky thing fall from it's body when swimming however I am not sure about this..

The fish started not eating today (or I cant see) when I am next to the tank and they have no scratching / rubbing the tank behavior.

img9636v.jpg

(from dark area)

img9638i.jpg

(from front)

Today (Wed) It seems the "white spot" is not obvious at all however the fish is losing it's color (e.g. part of the body is not black anymore)... any idea? and looks like the fins are a bit melting? (I dont know how to describe)

The other fish have a minor same situation however still willing to eat.

Just wonder if anyone can tell me if they are white spot, caused by the jelly fish or something else?

Thanks a lot

:(

Corailline

Looks like ich at the very least to me as well. I do not think a small jelly had anything to do with the current state of your clownfish.

I hope he gets better, poor baby.

leebca

I would say it is advanced Marine Ich. You haven't got much time to save this fish. You need to do a LOT of reading, fast. Start by reading this and follow it -- do what it says to do:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html

The above link will take you to a post that will tell you what to do and the choices you have to make. It will direct you to other posts which contain additional information on how to do things.

Good luck! :thumbup:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good morning and WELCOME :wave: to RS! Glad to have you hear but wish it was under more positive circumstances. Hang in there as our resident "GuRu" (leebca) is nothing short of amazing!!

I'm inclined to think "Ich" as well. Keep in mind that the "White Spot" is only one portion of the infection and often "Comes & Goes" which mistakenly leads people to think their fish are cured when that's NOT the case.

leebca will come through in due time and give some "Expert" advice but in the mean time please take a moment to read through
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html

and see if this doesn't help you get started in the right direction.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Outstanding! While I was typing a reply leebca was already on it and giving the best advice possible! :thumber:

malau

Thanks all, I am expecting the worst. The positive side is the other clown (they are a pair) seems can fight with this disease. The one who is in deep trouble is so skinny now, not willing to eat and seems requires more oxygen.. (thats why I have to expect the worst)..

Just in case the worst happen, is that possible I have 3 clown fishes instead of a pair? Since I feel so sorry and it may be lonely so I am planning to get a friend or two for it around xmas time (due to I have to make sure my tank has no ich at all in the next ~ 60-72 days while I am keep doing the weekly water change)

Btw I come from the other side of the world (I think) so I may talk to you guys "tomorrow" if I am not busy at work....

Thanks once again..

malau

[Edited] Just saw the copper treatment part...

Another the problem is I am using the medicine today (before I found this forum) and hope that won't make the situation worse.. Not sure if I switch to copper will make the fishes stress ...

the one I got contains 0.4mg/ml Malachite green
4.00 mg/ml methylene blue and 2 mg/ml acriflavine

leebca

The product with Malachite Green and Methylene Blue will not cure Marine Ich. You can remove most of the product from the water by a huge water change (over 90%). If you do such a large water change, you should follow these guidelines: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...7-how-make-safe-water-change-marine-fish.html

After the above, then use Cupramine for your copper medication, if you can find it. The medication does cause stress, but the disease is even more stress. So think in terms of what is the least stress. The least stress is curing the fish as soon as possible. :D

As Grendel mentioned, if this fish was with other fish, then they are all infected and all with need treatment, even if you don't see the disease on the other fishes.

kburg

I had the same problem with ich, I was in a hurry and put another fish in and it got it in a week, so I just went fishless for 4 months and that seemed to work...I now have adopted what all of the experienced reefers on this tell everone... BE PATIENT

malau

Thanks for all replies.. still at work and sleepy.

Just wonder if I cant find Cupramine what else can I use and what about the dosage?

Thanks again.

malau

For those who are still interested in my situation, it seems that the tail fin of the fish is totally melt, whereas the other one seems ok (just have few spot). The one who is in trouble the eyes seems clear now (compare the photo above) and attempt (successfully) ate one brine shrimp tonight. It swim normally most of the time so far although with some "lack of oxygen" symptom so I increased the air from the air pump.

When I wasnt next to the tank, the stronger one stay with the weaker one... so if the thing become good I expect it may takes about a month for it to get recover.... *fingercross*

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hopefully they are both on the road to recovery.

In my own personal thoughts I'd like to suggest you shoot for more than "about a month" for recovery. Actually I'd shoot for 2 months just to be sure.

Good luck.

malau

Thanks for the support from you all. The fishes (including the very sick one) were very hungry when I was feeding them after work. The one who is really sick ate more than yesterday. I hope it is a good sign although I can't tell the fins are stopped melting or not :( The other one has some minor white spot but seems under control.

The healthier one "stay" with the sick one as long as Im not next to the tank (or sometimes play together by chasing/biting?)

malau

[Update] The fishes eat well. However when I do the water changes again, I saw some milky spots again (not really visible until the sunlight "shine" on their body). Compare to the photo in the first page this time is not obvious at all. Is that due to the 2nd around / generation of the ich which hided under the fishes scales few days ago? Or just the treatment doesnt work at all? Btw the fins seems stopped melting...

Also today is kinda the 2nd week (8th days) since the first day I saw the white spot and less than a week of the proper treatment (during the first 2 days I used improper medicine which is no harm the fishes but also useless to the white spot at all (misled by the lfs))....