Not all crabs might be created equal

Snelly40

hey guys, just go my order in from liveaquaria , they are great ps but that is in another thread.

I ordered dwarf red tip crabs to help stir the sand and eat some algea, and these guys are great. started eating algea right away, some eating the cyano that they can find and some green algea.

here is the link, check them out, completely safe per many accounts and they ignore each other completely in m tank... so far anyway

Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab

lcstorc

I just gave in and added scarlets. Need some more time before I would consider going any farther. :) I just can't forget the havoc hermits created in my tank originally.

Cassette87

I've had blue legs in my tank with no problems whatsoever, and i did have some red legs just like those in your tank now snelly, I'm not sure what happened to them though, I'm pretty sure the blue legs kicked their butts, they did do a good job with the algae though!

Snelly40

hahaha, i cringed when i saw u posted.
no big disturbance, i still am watching them like hawks!!!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I put 90 blue legged hermits in my tank as a CUC and am still waiting for the havoc to begin. They are model citizens. Are you sure you all aren't over reacting?:lol:

Happy to hear that you have found the crabs you like Jason!

Snelly40

my blue legs ate eachother, maybe just a bad bunch.
but i really gave up on crabs when an arrow crab killed a fish of mine.
im glad urs are working out for u though scotty

lcstorc

My problems were with snail eating crabs. I guess I decided I like the snails better so the crabs went bye bye.
Just got a few scarlets since everybody swears they are good guys. I was finally convinced enough to try a few (2 in the 125). We will see what happens but I doubt I will add any other kinds. Possibly some more scarlets but the jury is still out on that. I know that they have aggrivated a couple of corals by walking across or falling into them but no real damage done so I still consider them good guys for now. :)

dragonladylea

Definate proof that not all crabs are created equal - Meet Goliath, the net in pic 2 is 4" wide by 3" high.

PICT0330.jpg

PICT0331.jpg

prow

My problems were with snail eating crabs. I guess I decided I like the snails better so the crabs went bye bye.
Just got a few scarlets since everybody swears they are good guys. I was finally convinced enough to try a few (2 in the 125). We will see what happens but I doubt I will add any other kinds. Possibly some more scarlets but the jury is still out on that. I know that they have aggrivated a couple of corals by walking across or falling into them but no real damage done so I still consider them good guys for now. :)
every jedi must travel to the darkside before becoming a real jedi knight. use the force skywaker, dont let your anger with the algea consume you. that is when the darkside is most powerful. fight it, dont give into the darkside. dont let those crabs turn you:bouncebox

lcstorc

Actually I didn't add the hermits for algae control. I got a sea hare for that and it is awesome. The hermits were to make my husband happy. He has been upset with me ever since I declared it to be a hermit free reef since for some reason he likes them. So when I saw some nice looking scarlets, I caved and got him a few. A few being 2 for the 125g tank. I should be safe enough. I hope. I did warn him that they are on probation and one offense and they are gone.

lcstorc

Nope, but I would remove them. Put them in your sump. They will be harmless there and help keep things a bit cleaner as well without munching on corals.

InLimbo87

I've always had good luck with the scarlets, but I once tried blues and tri-colors (I believe, they had black/white legs) and both of them were terrors.