Noisy Overflow

danewell

Ok guys and gals; I have a Life Reef overflow (the large one), I purchased the silencers, I am running 1" ID tubing, Mag 18 pump, and it is constantly gurgling. I have played with the air tubing up and down for several days even thought let it run a couple days and it would get better with some slime. I am desperate for ideas, cause it is driving me nuts.

reefer gladness

Try and make sure the tubing is heading 'downhill' the entire way to the sump too, particularly that short section where the tubing travels horizontally to the sump. If the water has to travel up even a short 1/2 inch it tends to gurgle, I ran into this when I first setup as I had cut the tubing just a little long.

danewell

RG thanks for the tip, but dmatt88 and I made sure that wasn't an issue. After some late night insperation and engineering I came up with an idea to try, and it worked. The idea i had was to add a 1" coupler to each side which raised the water level, I know probably doesn't make much sense but there was turbulence in the back box. This smoothed the flow perfectly and after about 3 minutes of air hose playing, SILENT. It is almost dead silent, I think I am going to put some foam way at the top and feed the air hose through it. This should act as an additional muffler, and make it undetectable. Even if that does not work I am ok with it cause it is quiet enough now that I don't go crazy, and won't haveto crank the tv. Thanks everyone for the input and I hope this can help some people. I also did several power failure tests just to be safe, still works flawlessly.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Crank the TVs still. Those dogs upstairs need a reason to bark.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk