NO3 Red Sea Pro test and API test kit....... I need help !!!!

Danreef

Hi Guys

Is there anyone in the forum using the Red Sea Pro NO3 kit ?

I have been using the API kit for long time and after reading many threads about SPS and the relation of PO4/NO3 present in the tank, I decided today to buy the more accurate Red Sea NO3 test.

I almost passed away after I saw my first result using the low range testing .... it was out of range . In the below picture means more than 4 ppm.

So I have to do the high range test, diluting the sample with Distilled water, as you can see in the below picture. And the result was 16 ppm

How can this be possible if the API test tells me it is 0 ppm or slightly over 0 (See picture)

If I really have 16 ppm , then the API test kit will be really orange, with a color around 10 or 20 ppm in their scale.

What am I doing wrong ??????

Thanks
Daniel

sirrealism

Your not doing anything wrong. I would think the API kit is wrong but to be sure take a sample to a LFS and let them test it. Or if you have a friend in the hobby let them test the water. 16ppm is not uncommon and not crazy out of range though you do want to get on it before it does get out of control.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Daniel, this No3 Pro test kit is also able to measure No3 in freshwater, the first thing I suggest you do is check a sample of the water you have used for dilution, it should remain clear, if it does then for sure your No3 is high, if your freshwater shows any indication of pink then there is No3 in your freshwater, if you are producing your own water a zero TDS is no guarantee against No3 & Po4 being present, the very best R/O systems can only remove 98 to 99% you need a good quality DI resin changed frequently to ensure fresh water free of No3 & Po4.