No Snow?

Squatch XXL

All You Good Folks up north have all the fun!
"Fun" as in enjoying 30"+ of snow that the state does not even know what to do with. Plow trucks getting stuck. Emergency vehicles being stranded in random convenience store parking lots. Cars trapped for hours on toll roads....Don't even talk about how the grocery store was all week. Id rather have my prostate checked daily versus going to get bread/milk/TP

I had "Fun" at home however. I drank coffee until I could see in stereo, than I shoveled out my driveway, my 2 cars, the huge mound of snow that the township jammed up the end of my driveway with....Than I did the same for a few neighbors. Then my wonderfully undependable brother calls to see if I need a snow blower, because somehow he has my parents....But he lives in an apartment.....I am a bit confused as to why I have to shovel out my parents while my brother has their snow blower. I guarantee he is gonna get his hair blown back when I get a hold of him. I am planning on punching him in the face. I am not making that up either.

I was the first person in my neigborhood to have a clear driveway, and now I have to chance the world to go and save my parents.....possibly have to make a 40 mile trek to go save my in-laws next.

The thing that scares me is that my in-laws are super old, and they refuse to listen when I yell at them and tell them to stop shoveling. The old man has had so many real heart attacks, and refuses to go when he has minor ones. He was out today apparently beating on his chest while shoveling. Today is not the day to need an ambulance.

But my goodness does it look pretty. (the snow, not the old man having a heart attack)

So, in short. It is not fun at all. I am stressing because when it snows people act without common sense or decency. I only need a few buttons pushed, and I go bat-poo crazy. The caffeine issue only amplifies it. I mean nothing personal to all the great members at Reef Sanctuary and this was just me venting lol.

Please, don't take it personal. I have not found a better fish forum site with great members like Cracker, Pat, Paulb and others. I came here because one post of NanoReefing4fun, and it really made me want to contribute. Quantity of posts across a vast amount of users DOES NOT mean quality (I am pointing directly at reef central...the home of a bunch of spoiled brats). This forum in all of its topic specific areas is pure quality. EVERYONE that posts has something to add that is intelligent and well though out....Except that one post where the fish tank has a hammer/egg/cucumber issue. I don't know if you "SAW" it. ;)

EDIT****

I have to be careful what I say. I know that this is an OT forum, but like what happened over at RC....I made half a dozen posts in their OT forum where I had an opinion not related to politics/religion and I got perma-banned by MAC ID and IP. The mods there are a bunch of spineless yellow wusses who dont deserve to breathe the air that I exhale.

Talking about Exhaling...I happened to quit smoking almost 2 days ago. From 30ish full flavor down to 0. Instant irritability......

Last edited:

Pat24601

"Fun" as in enjoying 30"+ of snow that the state does not even know what to do with. Plow trucks getting stuck. Emergency vehicles being stranded in random convenience store parking lots. Cars trapped for hours on toll roads....Don't even talk about how the grocery store was all week. Id rather have my prostate checked daily versus going to get bread/milk/TP

I had "Fun" at home however. I drank coffee until I could see in stereo, than I shoveled out my driveway, my 2 cars, the huge mound of snow that the township jammed up the end of my driveway with....Than I did the same for a few neighbors. Then my wonderfully undependable brother calls to see if I need a snow blower, because somehow he has my parents....But he lives in an apartment.....I am a bit confused as to why I have to shovel out my parents while my brother has their snow blower. I guarantee he is gonna get his hair blown back when I get a hold of him. I am planning on punching him in the face. I am not making that up either.

I was the first person in my neigborhood to have a clear driveway, and now I have to chance the world to go and save my parents.....possibly have to make a 40 mile trek to go save my in-laws next.

The thing that scares me is that my in-laws are super old, and they refuse to listen when I yell at them and tell them to stop shoveling. The old man has had so many real heart attacks, and refuses to go when he has minor ones. He was out today apparently beating on his chest while shoveling. Today is not the day to need an ambulance.

But my goodness does it look pretty. (the snow, not the old man having a heart attack)

So, in short. It is not fun at all. I am stressing because when it snows people act without common sense or decency. I only need a few buttons pushed, and I go bat-poo crazy. The caffeine issue only amplifies it. I mean nothing personal to all the great members at Reef Sanctuary and this was just me venting lol.

Please, don't take it personal. I have not found a better fish forum site with great members like Cracker, Pat, Paulb and others. I came here because one post of NanoReefing4fun, and it really made me want to contribute. Quantity of posts across a vast amount of users DOES NOT mean quality (I am pointing directly at reef central...the home of a bunch of spoiled brats). This forum in all of its topic specific areas is pure quality. EVERYONE that posts has something to add that is intelligent and well though out....Except that one post where the fish tank has a hammer/egg/cucumber issue. I don't know if you "SAW" it. ;)

EDIT****

I have to be careful what I say. I know that this is an OT forum, but like what happened over at RC....I made half a dozen posts in their OT forum where I had an opinion not related to politics/religion and I got perma-banned by MAC ID and IP. The mods there are a bunch of spineless yellow wusses who dont deserve to breathe the air that I exhale.

Talking about Exhaling...I happened to quit smoking almost 2 days ago. From 30ish full flavor down to 0. Instant irritability......

Snow like this is serious business. People really die.

I was stressed to all heck 2 years ago when I had new babies, the roads were literally inaccessible, and the power went out.

I totally get where you are coming from.

AngieRN

@Squatch XXL, you certainly know how to give us a little perspective! 30"+ WOW!! Here I am in NC, wishing for lots of snow, not realizing the down side to lots of snow! Your references to "ambulances stuck in various convenience store parking lots" really connected with the ER nurse in me and as a current cardiac nurse, your father in laws heart condition is very concerning! Hoping you guys stay warm and HEALTHY in the coming days!

Squatch XXL

Snow like this is serious business. People really die.
I have alluded to it in prior post, but my father is terminally ill with ALS, and it is pretty far along. I went over to visit today as soon as I could. I did not hurry because my brother was actually there digging him out as I found out. I was instantly advised that the only reason he was there was to borrow the snow blower. (I am thinking...uhoh someone is cranky). He asks what my day was like, and I told him that I cleared out my driveway, then helped the old people nearby. He then bites my head off telling me that next time I should think more about him and mom and less about my neighbors. I laughed it off, and told him that brother saved him.....He has never been that way (I don't know a good adjective that is forum friendly)....As soon as I got into my car, I let the wife know that next time it snows, I am waiting until the next day, and that I wont be visiting. It will be an in and out affair.

If there had been an issue with power outage, he would have instantly needed to be moved to the local hospital, and it would have been the national guard that did it....Our local and state helpers were totally swamped, but they did a great job. The roads are better than expected.

ambulances stuck in various convenience store parking lots
We live about a mile from a major hospital, and there was an issue last night where one literally was totally stuck nearby. That is terrifying to me, because IF anything goes wrong with 2 feet of snow falling, simple things can end in total disaster. I am thankful that nothing serious happened while we were helpless.....However getting my ear chewed off for not putting people on the top of the help list makes me somewhat angry. I get spiteful and passive/aggressive with human beings from time to time.

Its all good however. I got a church meeting tonight, and I am bound to hear some more lol. Snow brings out the worst in people. I hate it. I am looking to move to Australia.

cracker

Squatch, Sorry Man! I've been in Florida so long time. I forget the hardships and dangers involved with a Blizzard. I was a little kid last time I saw any real snow and only remember how much fun it was. Hope everyone stuck in it are safe. Sounds Like You had a long day, It will come back to You!
As for the Moderators here, I don't think they are Ok with a little venting here and there! I hear Travis is a good Guy. I even unliked him once,He didn't ban me LOL! Hang in there Folks keep warm!

Squatch XXL

I was a little kid last time I saw any real snow
I feel that way too lol, and I have been all over PA for the entirety of my 35 years. The last "big one" was a mix of perfect storms back in 1996. We had lots of snow down on the ground from a blizzard, then shortly thereafter it got warm enough for a major thunderstorm to come through. Snow melted from warmer rain. It was bonkers. Ice flows in the Susquehanna river broke loose....flooding was widespread. We are lucky enough to not be near the river, but darn was it insane.

Here is a now famous video of our "Walnut Street Bridge" that crossed the river. At the time it was only used for pedestrian traffic...it was no longer rated to the weight of cars

The bridge is still there...obviously it is not really a bridge any more....basically just a metal pier from both sides. They fixed it up. If my eyes are correct, they have a bunch of large plastic drums full of water at the ends to keep people from falling off....I wont get close enought to check lol. I can see it just fine from the real bridge down the way. I see it every day on the way home from work. A few attempts to raise funding to "fix" it flopped. What good is a long bridge spanning a wide river that only people can bike or walk on?....We are lazy Americans, and it shows every time funding for repair comes up. Id rather drive 2 blocks down and drive across a real bridge than to walk across that rickety old thing.

StirCrayzy

12" of snow at a time is fun and managed by most without issue here in the north. Somewhere between 12-18 & beyond it gets serious. I love snow, and like most normal folks the good Samaritan in us comes out and we band together to help out. I take my Jeep out to the highways, and drag cars out of ditches, and being a First Responder am always on the lookout for shovelling troubles while cruising around in these storms. Here in Michigan we didn't get squat from this big one, but my brother in Queens sent a pretty good pic outside his apt.

Squatch XXL

My house 2 hours after I cleared the snow with a snow blower
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id have given up, and waited. We did not get the wind, so in that aspect we were lucky. They warned up that it could happen, but thus far nothing.

Keep warm out there everyone. Keep your eyes out and be aware that the worst is over but that there are still issues. I have seen a few people down the street (farther than I would call neighbor) that still need cleaned out. If you can get to work, do it safe. If you don't work or are lazy enjoy the warmth.

What got me screwed up, is that I rented a cargo van 2 weeks ago for today. I don't have cable/television and I don't surf the web looking for news regular enough. The cargo van was for moving my 80 gallon tank to my new home. They called me yesterday to report that the 8am pickup would be impossible. I even offered to come shovel them out....I really think they thought I was joking and I wasn't. I should have gone over there anyway and just started digging.

I am really starting to appreciate what my career has done to my body.....Constant movement and elevated heart rate and breathing over the last 10 years has made me nearly immune to cardio workouts. I am not "buff" in any sense, but days like the last few reaffirm that things are going well. No pain, no gain....Apparently I gained nothing shoveling all them people out lol.

Squatch XXL

The cargo van was for moving my 80 gallon tank to my new home. They called me yesterday to report that the 8am pickup would be impossible. I even offered to come shovel them out....I really think they thought I was joking and I wasn't. I should have gone over there anyway and just started digging.
Well, I just got the call that my cargo van is still under over 4 feet of snow due to drifting. As they told me on the phone, I am their only reservation thus far this week.....(Translated in my head: "Sir, We are in no hurry whatsoever"). Thankfully my job this week is pretty much cancelled. We were waiting for a pair of large heat exchangers.....They were apparently shipped sometime Friday from NC....Currently My foreman nor I can locate them after contacting the MFR and the Logistic solution they used to ship. I love when mother nature does this. Everyone loses their minds....I drink coffee and tea, and watch from my window...

Which reminds me. I still have a few homes on the block that need shoveled out. Im gonna get bundled up and keep on keeping on. Ill be back later on when they are clear. Plus I got to unbury my trash cans...the garbage man may come today.....I doubt it, but you never know.

Paul B

I can see people who live in the Carolina's or Florida complaining about snow because they are not used to it. But if you are a New Yorker you should not complain. It's winter time and supposed to snow and it doesn't snow nearly as much as it used to like when I was a kid and I had to walk through 6' of snow, up hill boat ways, barefoot to school where they gave us ice pops to warm up. :confused:
Now when it snows, it melts the next day. Christmas day it was 60 degrees. Like really!!! :eek:

SubRosa

All I'm getting is bitter cold! No Snow! I'm down here in North East Florida, I assure You it's plenty cold for at least a flurry or two ! But Noo! just cold hands and feet! All You Good Folks up north have all the fun! and all the media attention too!
Uh, I'm about 900 miles north of you, and FYI it doesn't get cold here. Ever. The words "Florida" and "bitter cold" don't belong in the same paragraph, let alone the same sentence!

cracker

Sub Rosa, With all respect. There was FROST on my windshield of my truck. Around these parts that's considered bitter cold. I even had to bring in my plants! It's OK though it only lasted a couple of days and I didn't have to put on long britches. Hey I was here during the blizzard of 1987. It was even Christmas ! There was about 2 inches of snow & ice that lasted until noon or so. This whole place completely shut down!

SubRosa

At the typical winter humidity levels of the interior sections of the mid Atlantic cold starts at about -10°F. FL is pretty much all coastal, with higher humidity so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that cold starts around 0°F down your way.