No pink onl green?

my 12 gallon is growing tons of green coraline on the glass, rocks every where, but the only place the purple/pink coraline is growing is on the silicone sealant on the corners of the glass? why is this happening and how can i fix it?

cole

lcstorc

Try scraping some of the purple off. The spores should populate the lr and add some purple.
Are you sure the green is corraline? Lots of algae is green and some looks a lot like corraline,
A pic would help a lot on the id

i got pics
IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP1829.jpg

IMGP1830.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
That is pink coraline with brown algae growing over it, what lighting are you useing, don't know if its the camera or not but your tank looks very reddish pink, actually looks like a little cyano on the last picture bottom right.Steve

yea i have a cyano problem... no the camera doesnt do the color so well.. its all a dark green coraline no other algae is covering it.. its running on t-5's

mps9506

my 12 gallon is growing tons of green coraline on the glass, rocks every where, but the only place the purple/pink coraline is growing is on the silicone sealant on the corners of the glass? why is this happening and how can i fix it?

cole
How steady is your calcium and alkalinity staying?

they are both farely steady i have pink/purple coraline growing on the silacone? so is it just some weird incident that its not growing on the rock and glass?

lcstorc

Personally I think the corraline cannot grow because of the other algae. Find out what is feeding it nitrates/phosphates and starve it out. Then the corraline should spread. This of course depends on your calc/alk numbers that were requeste earlier.
Just as a side note. Corraline is overrated. It is not the bacteria that preforms the realy work. It just grows on the outside and looks pretty good. Usually people want it becasuse it is common in healthy tanks with a good calc/alk balance.

mps9506

Only thing I can recomend is steady Calcium and alkalinity, clean water that is low in nitrates and patience. If your water conditions are conducive to coral growth, the coralline will start growing. I know people that keep their calcium levels lower just to try and inhibit Coralline growth in their tanks because it can grow so fast. Especially those of us that like to keep the back glass panels coralline free, it can be a pita to have the stuff growing fast :)