Nitrites high/low

kstewart422

I am carefully watching my water quality. All tests very well. How ever, I was looking for an explanation of what the high range and low range of Nitrites are? I did a couple of searches, with no luck. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

When I ran fish only, the only things that I really checked was Nitrates, Ammonia, pH, salinity, and temp....

Can anyone give me a clue what the Nitrites are and why I'm watching the high and low range of this?

Thanks for your time,
Kenny:eek:lsmile:

csmsss

Nitrites are the intermediate compounds which are formed in the nitrification process. They are formed by bacterial metabolism of the ammonia-bearing nitrogenous wastes produced by the fish and livestock in your tank and are highly toxic to the organisms in your tank. When your biological filter is mature, these nitrites will be metabolized into less harmful (but still undesirable) nitrates.

The desired and maximum level for nitrites in your tank is the same - zero. However, during the conditioning process for your tank, the nitrite level will spike until the nitrifying bacteria "catch up". Nitrites should be monitored very carefully in a new tank, especially if you have any livestock in it.