newest rookie.

reefrook

hi there fellow reefers!.

so i'm finally taking the leap into the world of saltwater. i have had freshwater for several years. currently running a 75 african cichlid tank. the long term goal is for that to be my salt tank. however, to start i'm going for a shallow long reef in a 20 long. I had it drilled w/a corner overflow and am using an old 10 gal for the sump down below. I have a couple of baffles, a 4 inch sock and a 260 gph eheim return pump. I have spent hours upon hours reading online forums trying to absorb as much as I can and it still seem so overwhelming. I could use any and all advice/support. Last night I filled it up for w/about 25 gals of premixed salt water from lfs. put in 20lbs of fiji pink sand(its not really pink) it is supposed to have bacteria in it. Does anyone have any feedback on using live rock vs. reef saver eco rock. I was reading about it and how by using it you can have your tank be free of apitasia, bubble algae, parasitic isopods, mantis shrimp,acro eating flat worms, little red bugs, fire worms, predatory nudibranchs, pyramidellid snails and other common pests. Half of these things i have never heard of, but they all sounded nasty. This info and the fact that it was half the price of live rock was enough for me to order 25 lbs of it. Did i make a mistake??? Not quite sure what my next step should be? whats this about putting shrimp in a bag in your tank? i assume it is to help w/the cycle. do i need to do this since the sand was supposed to have bacteria in it??? perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask all this. srry if i was just supposed to say hi. i just remembered this is the meet and greet section.....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS :)

KUDOS to you for researching and asking questions FIRST! You, your tank and your wallet will all benefit from your knowledge before the fact.

Ok:
Deli Shrimp - You need to add it in order to FEED the bacteria so they colonize and prepare the tank for your first fish (several weeks away).

Live Rock - It's a GREAT idea to set you tank up with a large amoung of NON-Live rock. This does save you some money but you also need a small amount of LIVE ROCK in order to "Seed" the base rock to make it LIVE after the cycle. I set my 90g tank with with 90% dry base rock and 10% High Quality Live ROCK! Keep in mind that a LOT of what you read about why to go with ECO rock is marketing hoop-la. Those things CAN come in on Live Rock but they can also come in on coral and other things you add. It's called SCARE tactics! Don't believe everything you read from the manufacturer. You're wise to ask questions.

Let's start off with some links you NEED to read through and bookmark.

Start with this
FAQ of Reefing

which will contain (this is the order I think you'll want to read and take notes)

Setting Up a SUCCESSFUL Marine Aquarium

These are both good reads on the same topic *Cycling*
newbies-little-something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tankl

just-exactly-what-cycled-tank

Some hints/tips on
TESTING

Ideas on
*Stocking* the tank

and
how to acclimate new additions

and while you're cycling your tank you'll want to
set-up and cycle a QT system

From there you'll be a little more prepared to start on this adventure.

Good luck and HAPPY REEFING!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

+1 to the great advise above :)

reefrook

awesome info big al, thanks. i'll be burning the midnight oil for a bit. i'll be sure and ask ?'s as they arise, which i'm sure they will. THanks again

reef keeper

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary where reef keeping is not a hobby but a way of life. Hope you enjoy the vast amount of Knowledge and help here as RS!