Newbie Needing Advie On Whitespot

VJULIAN

Hi Everyone,

New To This. Actually Doing It On Behalf Of My Hubbie As It Is More His Tank!!

Had For 1 Year Now, But Started Stocking With Fish In Feb 09.

Have Reef Tank. It Consists Of The Following:

2 Clowns
1 Spotted Mandarin
1 Lemonpeel
1 Majestic Angel
1 Ghost Goby

1 Leather
1 Finger
I Pussey
2 Star Polyps
1 Malu Anemone

Water Quality Really Good!

Actually Decided To Come On Here As In Need Of Advice Urgently.

We Are Currently Experiencing An Outbreak Of Marine White Spot! Started 7 Days Agao. We Have Lost Our Sailfin Tang, Firefish And Cleaner Wrasse. Cant Use Copper Based Medicine As Have Corals! We Are Currently Trying Microbelift Herbtanta As Meant To Be Reef Safe. Our Spotted Mandarin Is Covered But Going Strong. The Only Fish That Appear To Be Ok Are The Lemonpeel And Ghost Goby. We Have Also Tried Garlic.

Any Suggestions? We Are Contemplating Getting A Hospital Tank To Try A Copper Based Medicine But A Worried It Will Kill Then Fish. Any Advise Would Be Greatly Appreciated! Thanks

Pulker

I think a hospital tank is the way to go. Be careful to match the alk, salinity etc. You will need to water change more frequently since you don't have any beneficial bacteria to suck up the poop.

Mcvivor

I had the same problem a month or so ago. I had to take ALL the fish out of my tank and QT them for a few weeks with treatment.

Make sure you QT ALL NEW fish from now on.....at least I know I will, I am not going threw this again Lol:bouncer:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

VJULIAN

Hi Thanks Guys

Sadly I Got Home From Work And Our Majestic Was Dead!! Really Gutted!!!!!! Went Staright To Our Fish Place And Got Hospital Tank. Got The Remaining Fish Out...eventually And They Are In The Hospital Tank! Think I Am More Stressed Than The Fish!! Lol Gonna Start The Treatment Tomoro To Give Fish Time To Get Over Ordeal Of Being Whipped Out Of Their Home.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
*** Moved to Fish Disease & Treatment****

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you'll get some detailed advice here.

Mcvivor

Feeding garlic in their foods will help build immune system. So try using that to help out :-D my fish all freaked out too when I removed them but they are just fine now.

Just remember to keep up on water changes every week or so in the QT tank.

:-D

VJULIAN

Hi lee,

thanks for the advice. have actually already read you posts on marine ich! found some really useful info there, some a bit daunting.

unfortunately we have lost my mandarin!!...he was doing so well, really fat and active!!! hopefully we can save the remaining fish!!

thanks to everyone for their advice!!!

VJULIAN

hi! not sure if anyone is interested but thought i wud post an update.

we are on day 6 of copper treatment. the female clown seems to have improved but the male clown is still covered. all fish doing well. doing frequent water changes to keep water quality good.

the realy annoying thing is that our corals in the main tank have all blossomed....no fish!!! hopefully they will stay like that when we eventually put the fish back in...that is if they all survive!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for the update. Stick with the treatments. Hopefully all will turn around for you.

It's common for a tank to blossom with no fish to agitate them.

VJULIAN

Thanks For Support Guys!

Good News! Our Male Clown Seems To Be Improving. He Still Has Spots But They Don't Look As Bad! We Will Persevere!

VJULIAN

hi guys!!

how are you all?

well the white spot has almost completely gone, but the lemonpeel still got a few so we have been told to carry on with another course of the treatment...we have done a BIG w/c and hopefully by next week it will all be gone.

below is a shot of our tank...minus the fish!!!

it is a 260L (57 uk gallon) tank. we started jan 09 and this is what it looks like now...not as impressive as it was when we had all the fish!!

Attachments

• full tank shot.JPG
    full tank shot.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 15