Newbie from New Mexico

ziggy

Oh.. you can keep your light off unless you want to see the changes. Lights do nothing for growing the beneficial bacteria and may give you a lot of algea rather early on.

Mr.Reeefer

Hi mate,

Goma and Ziggy have covered everything, when my tank was cycling I was checking the water Params every two days, I think you should check Params about the same or every three days and post them on here and the guys can tell you where you are at with you cycle.

Also the graph Goma has posted on the previous page will give you an indicator on how your tank will cycle, the first 16 days is your ammonia will spike which should come to 0 before your see your nitrite spike then after another couple of weeks this should come down to 0 then your nitrate will spike and you should be ready for a water change then you should be ready to introduce your clean up crew. It's a slow process but a necessary one.

Also I'd let your hydrometer sit on a bench and only use the refractometer. Hydrometers aren't good compared to the refractometer.

Regarding Ph, there is a PH RAISE on the market for SW, I have never had to use it, the sand bottom and salt you use generally keep this good, what salt are you using? It's not critically low at the moment but monitor it and if it doesn't raise in time you will need to raise it yourself before putting live stock in.

Good luck Mate

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Don't worry about Nitrates right now. Here is your typical cycle. Don't worry about they days across the bottom as many factors can affect the timing (condition of live rock). The important thing to look for is the rise and fall to zero of ammonia and then the rise and fall to zero of Nitrites. Once that is done, the cycle is complete and you can do a large water change or a series of water changes to reduce Nitrates and add a CUC.

goma-albums-cycle-picture24873-cycle.jpg

Since you still have ammonia, your cycle is not complete.

Your Salinity at 30...Is that 30 ppt? If so, that is pretty low and you need to raise that up to 35 ppt.

jaws789832

yeah, been trying just doing it slowly. don't want to overdose it. about 25 gallons of water total, been adding like 3 tablesppons of reef crystals a day (mixing it up in a small bucket with tank water). doesn't really raise it much it seems but just going slow so I don't end up with way too much salinity. Also my pre mixed salt water for water changes is right at 35ppt and been adding that as top off water for now.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sounds good, really not that big of a deal right now since you are still cycling but you want to get it right before adding any livestock.

bullet

Greg thanks for the chart it is def a great bit of usefull info as well as the Table 1 parameter
you provided great reference info. and jaws those pics dont look that bad actually look pretty
clear

jaws789832

OK so I woke up yesterday and tested my water.
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 100
magnesium 1600

everything else good.
I was so excited that I immediately ordered my CUC.
Then did a 40% water change.
Woke up this morning and my nitrates were still at 100. Question is should I just keep doing water changes till my nitrates are low?
Also the only thing that appears to be growing is this grey fluffy stuff. not sure what it is. I try to suck it out during water changes but it keeps coming back. I this something I should be concerned with?
005_zps17c9f13c.jpg
; http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/jaws789832/006_zpsce8d1a0c.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Congrats!! You can do some smaller water changes now to drop your Nitrates to a reasonable level. I don't what the gray stuff is but you'll go through a series of ugly phases while your tank matures.

Are you using zero TDS RO/DI water?

jaws789832

Was using water from a water store (RO only) until my ro/di unit arrived which it did yesterday. 0 TDS coming out of mine now but not sure about the store bought water.

jaws789832

this might sound like a stupid question but how do I turn live rock into dead rock that I can use in the future. Basically my order of live rock was to much and I have like 4 pretty nice pieces left over that if I ever upgrade I want to save. What can I do with them?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Jaws :wave:
Tuning in to your thread, as I just now found it :yup:
I'd suggest to have one of the mods re-name it & move it to the Reef Chronicle forum where more members can find it to follow your tank progress. Just pick a name & let them know with a PM or post. :eek:
Love your rockscape, the depth of your shelves should provide lots of coral space.
I don't see much for your CUC to clean up from your photos....have you since gotten some algae growth for them to eat? If not, depending on how large you CUC order was, you may need to supplement them with maybe some partial sheets of seaweed. So what have you added since you last post? :fishy:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
jaws789832 - Let me know if you'd like to move this thread over to Reef Chronicles and also if you want I can rename it for you, just let me know.