Newbie. Advice welcome and wanted!!

Sierra Face

Hey there, guys and dolls! I just bought a 14g biocube with already established live rock, a striped damsel fish, and a peacock mantis shrimp! It was a ridiculously great deal of $150 for the whole kit & kaboodle, but it was partly because they had a wicked apstasia problem and a new child and not enough time to take care of both. It looks kind of nice, but it's definitely something i want to take care of.

I've only had freshwater fish before, so i'm pretty new at this. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any advice on how to take care of my apstasia problem or about anything at all. Thanks guys!

~Peace, Love, Etc~

~Sierra

steve76s

Hey Sierra

Welcome aboard

I' new to the reef hobby as well, but do have experience with saltwater fish in general. Tell me what you know and we can go from there. BTW, You have joined an awesome forum, everyone here are very helpful.

Thanks

Steve

WatchinFish

:hallo: :welcomera to this forum. your gonna love it. aptasia is a nusance but go to your LFS (local fish store) and buy 2 pepermint shrimp. make sure not to feed them for a couple days and they should clean up your aptasia problem in no time. they really work wonders. and are small so they shouldnt effect your tank to bad.

Anselth

:wave: Welcome aboard. As watchin said, peppermint shrimp are a pretty good biological control for aiptasia, as long as they eat them. Joe's juice is a pretty good way to get rid of them too, you just inject it at their mouths.

thelastmucci

Congrats on your purchase. Be warned this hobby is addicting.

The best advice I can give you is: Pateince, go slow, and read, read and then when your eyes are bleeding, read some more. The best book that I"ve come across is the saltwater guide for dummies book. Also anything by Polluck or Calfo is def a good read. If the peppermint shrimp don't work (although there is no reason to think they won't) you can go to your Local Fish Store and buy some joes juice it comes with a little syringe. Worst case is you have to buy some lemon juice in your tank..although this does affect parameters to a certain point. HTH, good luck, and if you have any questions either post them in the formus or pvt msg me.

Mooch

RNicorvo

Just want to say Welcome!

I'm pretty new also and have learned a lot from this site and everyone has been very helpful.

Robin

untilthen

well a cheaper way to get rid of the infestation is to get a needle and some vinegar... it takes a while but just inject the biggest ones u can find... they will shrivel right up and die... i have done it a few times... peppermint are good 2 but make sure ur mantis doesnt make a expensive meal of em...