New to Salt Water

Warren

Hi all
Have had my RSM130 for about two months and am about to put the water and live rock in tomorrow, have been reading about setting up a reef since i purchased it so hope i get it right there is a lot of conflicting info out there.

I have a question regarding the charcoal filtration red sea's site say that it should be replaced every eight weeks so every time you change it would require removing the circulation pumps, would that not eventually wear the threads. Is there an alternative or is this just something that has to be done?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Warren
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary & the RSM owners forum, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I would suggest this... put it where RSM suggest (left back under circulation pumps) then after about 6 weeks, change it out for a better carbon product - Chemi-pure Elite, the later you will change out about every 3 months or 4 times a year & the threads should last for several years. New pumps (with new threads :)) are about $20, I would not worry about the threads at all .

Hope that helps & feel free at ask any question you have here & as many as you want, as often as you want ! :)

Start a thank thread and post us some pics too !!!

Warren

ok thanks for that, seems i need to take the pumps out occasionally to clean them which makes sense.

Sapphire

Welcome to RS and the RSM Owners sectonb!

As Glenn has said you could use the media rack - I don't have one but the reports appear to be very good!

I have carbon under the pumps and really it's quite easy to take them out (especially if you're like me and make your fiance do it for you!).

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Warren -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

Don't forget to check out and use all of Reef Sanctuary - tons of good information in here!

If you go the media basket route it will require removing and replacing the RSM skimmer with another. I'd suggest using the carbon, and as Glenn said replacing it with Chemi-Pure Elite later. I'd also suggest giving the stock system a chance before making any equipment changes. You can always do those later if needed. Enjoy the tank and all of Reef Sanctuary!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Terry - I though I remembered... one could use... the stock skimmer & the media rack... only it was a tight fit... but I could be wrong...

anyone else know.... about this... Stevie... ?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nope - the rack won't fit with the stock skimmer - it takes up the space where the stock skimmer pump sits - top to bottom under the grate. Unless StevieT has come up with a small version? Loved my media rack, but it just can't be used with the stock skimmer. You may be thinking of the Euro-Reef skimmer being a tight fit.

Mavjoy

Welcome and about the carbon, use up the stock first since your cycling. Later on, chemi-pure or get some high grade carbon and a small media bag. Buying it in bulk will save you money down the road.

proenca

welcome-transparent.gif

Regarding Carbon, everyone is right : use the stock one first on cycle and then upgrade to a better brand !

Warren

Thanks for advice will do exactly that.
Got my tank started today picked up my water and brought 13.5 kg of live rock thats been in a tank for years took me less than 15 min from out of old tank to into mine seems to be full of life got a huge bristle star inside one of the rocks couple of small star fish and some soft corals.
With the skimmer running i seam to get a lot of micro bubbles so i have turned it of for now and added nitro bac that came with tank to kick start cycle although from what i have read will be shorter because i used cured rock
Will keep testing parameters
Currently PH 7.8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 50-10
Nitrite 0.1
Alk Normal
Not sure exactly how to do the calcium test using the Marine lab kinda stall when it says use C in syringe have a thick moment i think.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds great Warren. Post some pics when you can. Looks like you're off to a great start and you may not even see any measurable cycle with that mature rock moved so quickly. Not sure about the test, but I'll just guess they mean to use the syringe for test solution C, and add drop by drop till you get a color change, then see how much is left in the syringe. Many of the titration tests work like that.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cool Live rock in & some life on it !!!

Warren if you don't mind me asking... where you from? I am guessing I can say " Good start & cheers M8" because you listed the rock in kg :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Warren - do you have a rsm 130 or a 130D, if the latter... I have some micro-bubble tips that might help... nice to have another member here from the UK , it's cool having members here from around the world !!!