New to Cheato, is it in trouble??

medicern

On Saturday I recieved my cheato from John at reef cleaners. I put it into my fuge using his directions. The next thing I know, it's shredded and is all over my fuge. Isn't is supposed to be a ball? Is it dead? It looks healthy and green, but it's in pieces everywhere plugging my return pump I have it all out in a dish now in some tank water, but I'd like to know what I can do. Thanks...oh and good morning!

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Sorry I've never seen that happen so it doesn't make sense to me. When it dies it normally turns mush and loses it's color. I've had pieces break all the time and the little pieces just grow like crazy. Sorry I can't help you more. Oh and my chaeto came directly from John as well.

Necidemos

I'm with these guys. I've never seen Chaeto "shed" before. It always stays in a tight ball. When I have, in the past, seen it die it's been turning color. I would give Jon a call and see what's up or what he thinks.

medicern

I emailed him and will await his response. There was nothing sticking together, so I had to toss it. No way to keep it under control.

jpsika08

Ryan,
Mine did something similar, after two to three weeks most of the little pieces around the fuge began growing and the main ball too.
Also, what happened with mine is that some of pieces where getting transparent, I think if yours is fully green it might be ok.
Try lowering the flow going through it too.

Here is a quick link:
Chaeto dying - Reef Central Online Community

FCatCH76

I emailed him and will await his response. There was nothing sticking together, so I had to toss it. No way to keep it under control.

Thats very odd!
If you need more shoot me a PM I can set up up with two quart sized bags shipped for $12.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
My LFS doesn't carry it because he says it always falls apart and then dies........nto sure if that helps at all but i've herard of it before. The stuff from John should be decent though, mine was really nice.

Do you have any inhabitants in your fuge that could be eating the chaeto and shredding it? Or do you possibly have too much flow going on causing it to shred?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've seen it "come apart" shortly after some big "event" (changing tanks etc) but after a few days of "stray pieces" everything tends to settle down and as it grows it will be more "Tank Friendly". I'd suggest a temporary "screen/cover" so the bits don't get carried to the rest of the tank. As long as it's not getting pale/faded I really don't give it a 2nd thought.