New to chalices.....quick question

So I just bought this guy about 2 weeks ago and placed him about upper to middle part of the tank....

IMG_5992.jpg

Now is he whiting out because of too much light? dying? or growing?

I just dont know how these things grow.

Any help is great

Thanks,

IXL

I'm new to the SW world so don't take my word for it but, I'll agree with GaReeferMan and lower it. I've taken a look at SW tanks the Chalice are on the ground to lower mid.

32456d1282539466-mummy-eye-chalice-acclimation-questions-mummy-eye-1.jpg

theDeedo

interesting thread. I have been looking into chalices myself lately. How do these chalice types grow? do they form into a cup formation, do they eventually take on a shape like a montipora, or do they just encrust whatever surface they are on, and take the shape of the rock they are growing over?

^ this

Yea I moved him lower to see how hes gonna react....and that RBTA is actually fairly far away...good 4in atleast

thanks so far guys, I still wanna know how the heck these things grow...i have no idea where i should place it

BigJay

I don't think he's being stung and I don't think he's bleaching. It looks like its recession due to the frag. I say that cause I can see skeletal area completely surrounding the chalice. Most likely it was sold from a recent cut that wasn't fully healed. Lowering the coral isn't a bad idea nonetheless but monitor its condition. If it continues to recede you might try give it a dip in a coral dip solution just to make sure the cutting and transportation stress hasn't opened a pathway. good luck, nice looking coral.

(in the pic I can't quite tell the way the coral is orientated, ie where you took the pic from)

What lighting conditions was that frag under before you put him into ur tank? and did u photo-acclimate that frag into ur tank?

BigJay, thanks for the details....kinda gives me a good idea on whats happening. Its an above shot, due to the fact I already had the top off and its hard to see the white when ur looking dead on.

Stiffler70, It was under MH like every other coral in my local LFS lol.

And no I didnt acclimate due to I only have PC's for now....(LEDs are on order!)