New Tank Problems

Bobby Aragon

This is my first post. I've read a few on here and the help seems almost immediate so I'm hoping this will help me and my new tank.
30 gal bio cube. Set up for 2.5 before adding coral.
31 lbs live rock
250 watt MH light about 3 in above tank. On stands no way to adjust hight.
2 purple chromis.
1 yellow wrasse.
1 6 line wrasse.
1 blue damsel.
1 blue mushroom.
1 small zoanthid frag.
1 5 head neon green candy cane.
Overflow water intake.
Sump return system.
Basic free flow filtration system.
Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and PH all at appropriate level.

Ive just began adding my coral to my tank a week ago. My blue mush is good. Only issue is it doesn't yet know day from night. My zoas and candy are having a bit of trouble though. My zoanthids haven't opened up since I got them and nearly all the color has been pulled off of my candy. I have shortened the length of time my MH light is on and decreased my water flow. Started this yesterday. Since doing so my candy has not gained any color but it has blimped up. Nothing still on my zoas.

I am very new to the saltwater world and still have a bunch to learn so any advise will be a tremendous help. Thanks in advance!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Bobby :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary!
Glad you joined us & I'm certain you will get lots if helpful advise here.
You said in your post your is set up for "2.5" ??? Months or weeks ??? And did you do testing to make sure your ammonia & nitrite levels each spiked & fell? More information would be needed to tell what could be going on.
Are your ammonia and nitrites staying at ZERO? What are you testing with and what is your salinity at?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Mike Johnson

First, welcome to Reef Sanctuary.

Your 250 watt MH is going to be to much light for most soft corals.. At 3" over the tank even at the bottom it's going to be too much. You're going to need to figure out a way to raise it or keep softies in the shade and LPS on the bottom.

jadams

My husband turned down our lighting brightness with the blue lighting and our coral is blossoming. A lot of coral like medium lighting. Our colors are more vibrant also. Hope this easy fix will work for you.

jadams

Medium water flow seems to work well also. Candy Canes like light...hammer does better mid to bottom of tank. My leather coral likes midway in the tank. We use iodine also...helps with the color.