New Sexy!!......shrimp!

so i just got back from my LFS and i picked up a sexy shrimp for $14.99 i bit expensive but i had them special order it so w/e.. anyways i'll go take some pics of it and it being aclimated... then ill post them

0821071808.jpg

0821071807.jpg

sorry the pics are kinda bad.. i took them with my phone

i heard these do better in odd numbers? i was only planning on 2 at the time or would it better to have a 3rd one in there? and should i put a sponge filter on so the dont get sucked up or should i not worry? and i have quite a few bristle worms in the tank will theses harm the sexy since some are almost twice the size of the sexy or will they leave it alone?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd put something on the intake to keep it from getting sucked in at least initially. I would also worry a tad bit about those bristles if they are that big. I don't know that they would prey on the shrimp but MANY things in our reef are opportunistic feeders eating something that they normally wouldn't eat just because it was in front of them. Remember no matter what we read or think we're still dealing with Mother Nature and she has a SICK sense of humor at times.

Good luck and cool shrimp :)

Allen

okay thanks guys i built a bristle worm trap out of a mechanical pencil and i fished out 2 worms longer then 1.5" and 4 smaller then an inch.... but about the numbers? should i add one more in or two? and are there any crabs that i can add to the tank that wont hurt the sexy?

ladygwen

We've has sexy shrimp for over a year now. We have had any where from 1-4 and they have done well in any combination of numbers. They tend to cluster together most of the time and in my tank have seemed to like hanging out around the xenia and gorgonia. I also haven't had any trouble with the bristle worms bothering them. They very nice little shrimp and have fast become my favorite.

Enjoy them !!!

Ladygwen:dance:

ok so you break the mechanical pencil get the long tube cut it to about 2" then take the tips of 2 mechanical pencils cut the tips off so the hole is big enought for the worms to get in but will have trouble getting out... it should look like this
0822071320.jpg
then you just put a peice of krill or other goodie inside.. fill with water put it into tank make sure it goes to the substrate (sometimes it floats a bit) then you just leave it over night

bluespotjawfish

I have 4 sexy shrimp in my 50 gallon tank. They don't have any problem with the intake from the filter (knock on wood), and seem to avoid getting sucked up into the WC tube when I forget they are in the tank. They are fun to watch. Be careful of the fish you put in the tank! I have a few bristleworms in my tank and they haven't bothered them.