HELP! new reefer and loving it

anthony323

hello my name is Anthony I have a 36 gallon bowfront reef tank its been up since February.I am very new at this but so far it's been great but I had my ups and downs already.there's so much I need to learn and so much I want to learn.at this point in my journey and I'm struggling with SPS coral trying to keep the color and ICK!!!!!!!!any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Welcome Anthony! If you're trying to keep SPS corals as a beginner, my heart goes out to you. That's trial by fire IMHO - lol! There are a lot of members who know so much and can help you level out those ups and downs.

Make sure to stop by the Reef Chronicles forum and start a tank thread so we can all follow along!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Anthony :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

This is a great forum to learn about reef keeping, lots of super nice members who love to help you be successful :thumber2:
Start a tank thread & post some pictures & tell us more about your tank, lights & water parameters.
Here's the link http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/reef-chronicles.62/
If you pick a title thread such as "Anthony's 36g Bowfront" or whatever to personalize your journal, others will jump on board to give you step by step :helpme: help to make reef life better :)

^ My tank is what it is ONLY because I did just that ^

Hope to see you here often and feeling right at home :couch:

Very BEST WISHES.....:cruiser:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Lee Birch's (Chemist and Microbiologist) Advice on Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

Dracko

:rbwwelc:. Definitely start a tank thread. From what I have learned (I am fairly new to this also) you are going to need the help these people can give. I believe that your tank is too new a setup for the corals you picked, but I am sure you can get the help you need here. I wish you all the :fingerscrossed:, but post quickly when you need :helpme:. And don't forget to take time to research :coffee2:. Again, Welcome.

pablomay28

Some pics. Test results also. What kind of loght are you using and how long do you run it. The only way to get rid of ick is to pull the fish and medicate them in a quarantine tank with cupramine. You cannot treat them in the display tank as the treatment would kill your live rock and coral.

anthony323

Hello Anthony :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

This is a great forum to learn about reef keeping, lots of super nice members who love to help you be successful :thumber2:
Start a tank thread & post some pictures & tell us more about your tank, lights & water parameters.
Here's the link http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/reef-chronicles.62/
If you pick a title thread such as "Anthony's 36g Bowfront" or whatever to personalize your journal, others will jump on board to give you step by step :helpme: help to make reef life better :)

^ My tank is what it is ONLY because I did just that ^

Hope to see you here often and feeling right at home :couch:

Very BEST WISHES.....:cruiser:
Thank u so much

reefer gladness

SPS corals are very demanding and usually recommended for the tank to be more mature before introducing, so you may struggle for awhile but you should get there eventually.

Lighting demands are high so tell us about your lighting please.
Water quality demands are high, you'll want to be testing for nitrates and phosphates.
Water chemistry demands are high, you'll need to test for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium as SPS corals deplete these elements more rapidly and they need to be kept in balance for strong skeleton and tissue growth.

Snelly40

SPS corals are very demanding and usually recommended for the tank to be more mature before introducing, so you may struggle for awhile but you should get there eventually.

Water quality demands are high, you'll want to be testing for nitrates and phosphates.
Water chemistry demands are high, you'll need to test for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium as SPS corals deplete these elements more rapidly and they need to be kept in balance for strong skeleton and tissue growth.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: what he said!! hahaha
but yah when i started it was more xenia and zoanthids, then i stepped up to frogspawns and other LPS's, in my new tank i am starting to venture to sps ...
anyway, it's really a great hobby so cant wait to see your progress

anthony323

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: what he said!! hahaha
but yah when i started it was more xenia and zoanthids, then i stepped up to frogspawns and other LPS's, in my new tank i am starting to venture to sps ...
anyway, it's really a great hobby so cant wait to see your progress
Thanks for the info . will keep everyone update. I'll try to post more pic soon .

anthony323

Thanks for the info. I have my calcium at 460; alkalinity at dkh 12 and magnesium at 1500ppm . phosphate at 0.23 ppm and nitrate at 0.00ppm .

newo11

Thanks for the info. I have my calcium at 460; alkalinity at dkh 12 and magnesium at 1500ppm . phosphate at 0.23 ppm and nitrate at 0.00ppm .

Welcome and congrats on a great start. You probably know this already, but your phosphates are very high and likely will give you some challenges with your SPS.

With that being said - all SPS are not the same. Some are much easier than others. And some are a mystery no matter what you do.

We'd love to see a tank thread, but until then - what SPS do you have in your tank now?