New Reef Keeper Here...

MarineMadness

Hey everyone, I'm a 23 year-old recent college grad living in Michigan. I'm a new SW enthusiast and just started stocking my first tank - How exciting!!

I have a 29 gallon eclipse system with dual 24" flouresant lights (I know this will not support all corals and anemones, but I feel i can still do enough to be plenty happy). It has a biowheel and a carbon filter with good surface agitation. I use 2 nano Koralia powerheads for water flow. I have a QT tank with equipment that will be setup when needed.

I've had the tank cycled for a couple weeks now using 35 lbs of fully cured LR and 2 good-sized damsels (as the LFS reccomended... NOTE-I wouldn't do it again). I returned the 2 damsels a few days ago and brought home 2 Ocellaris Clowns (1 a little bigger for easy pairing) and a small Banggai Cardinal. The bigger clown was showing signs of brookynella, or possibly a parasite porblem. I gave her 5 minute freshwater baths with formaline the last 2 days and she seems a lot better. The clowns have been goofy at night, but seem ok. The banggai is always chillin out in the open and is very tolerant of the clowns swimming all over him - I love these fish.

There was my 'not so brief' introduction. I know that when giving advice, SW experts want to know a lot of details and information, so there it is. Any comments, suggestions, and advice is welcomed.

Water Parameters
-Temp: 78
-Alkalinity: 4
-Ph: 8.2
-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrites: 0
-Nitrates: 0

SHMStrack

Not trying to tell you what to do, but ive heard some places that the BIO wheel does not work in saltwater, but only in freshwater. It will become a nitrate factory. so think about removing this from the tank. other that sounds like your off to a good start!

jgking21

Welcome to RS!

I've got a Bio-wheel filter on my 25, ran it with no problems for a few years. I recently took the wheel off and just run the filter to get debris out. I've seen no ill effects without the wheel, but have heard too it can hold nitrates. As a smaller tank regular water changes will help keep it clean and stable. Good luck!!!

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep an eye on the bio-load. You have quite a few fish for that tank already.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:welcomera to reefsanctuary
745.gif

Curgan

Welcome to the RS...
My Roommate had that same exact tank, he supported some soft corals in there without any problem. he did take the stock bulbs out and replaced them with a t-8 6000k and an actinic bulb. he eventually too off the eclipes hood and bought some t5 lighting and and HOB filter/refugium... and its been alot better. But you should be able to support some soft corals in there, you just might not get alot of growth.... got any pics???

MarineMadness

Thanks for all the advice... I have heard mixed reviews on the biowheel as well, so I'll keep an eye on my nitrates as a precaution. If it becomes an issue and I pull it out, would my tank still filter itself well enough with just the carbon, LR, and LS? And yea, I know I'm gonna end up replacing my hood to upgrade my lights... I just have to use it for awhile. It was a gift from my gf and it might not be a good move to replace it so quickly lol.

I attached a pic of my tank. I have been getting some hair algae growth on the LR and glass... any suggestions for keeping it at bay until I add some inverts to help me out? I know I can scrub the LR with a toothbrush, but is some hair algae ok to leave for the inverts to get later?

As far as the bioload, what do you guys feel is appropriate? Obviously I want to add more (eventually), but not at the expense of the fish I already have. Is adding a 4th small fish out of the question? I know it depends on a lot, and it would have to be later down the road, but what do you think? I also planning to add inverts in phases, starting this weekend with some snails and/or crabs.

Again, any advice/suggestions are appreciated. I'm still a newbie - If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me. I have been reading about reef keeping nonstop for months and still feel "in the dark" sometimes. I can't learn enough...

Attachments

• 0530092223.jpg
    0530092223.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 26

lcstorc

Yes your live rock will have enough bacteria to support the system. If you leave the bio-wheel in the bacteria will rely on it to support some of the beginning stages of the cycle. It is best to remove it now so the bacteria in the LR develops properly.
You really have a pretty heavy bio-load already. What you need to think about is the size of the fish full grown. It may look like you have a lot of room now, but when they grow up it will get quite crowded.
If you really want another fish, then get something small. Perhaps a yellow clown goby. They add a great splash of color and stay really small.

smkndrgn142

I agree, ditch the bio-wheel. They're nothing but trouble. Your tank looks good! The GHA is normal during the cycle. Do your best to keep it at bay until you get your CUC, you don't want it to get out of hand. Just pick it out and scrub a bit during your WC.

jgking21

You need to get a CUC in there quickly, they usually go in before any fish. That should help clear up the hair algea. You are most likely get the HA from excess nutrients from left over food while feed the fish.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! I think you're next step is to spend a little bit of time over here ..

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

and pay special attention to these links in there
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...01-setting-up-successful-marine-aquarium.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/632618-post3.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/24702-marine-fish-stocking-limit.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ers/16539-ye-old-stocking-limit-question.html

Now let's look a little deeper into a couple of your questions:

A) Leaving "some" hair algae for the CUC.
Noooo! Get it OUT now while you can. Your CUC may or may NOT even touch the stuff. It's a gamble and trust me it's not one you'll likely come out ahead on. Also note that the reason for HA (especially on such a new system) is often times over feeding and over stocking.

B) Fish Stocking amount
As mentioned you're already on the heavy side and when you factor in the newness of the tank and system you're really pushing your luck. Consider thinning your tank population now while you're still able to keep everything else inc check. Once you start seeing water parameter issues or algae issues (see section A above) it gets a LOT more difficult, expensive and time consuming to correct.

Just for fun let's take a look at MIN requirements for the fish you have (this is PER fish).

1) Oc Clown - (Amphiprion ocellaris) - Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons

2) Kaudern's Cardinal - (Pterapogon kauderni) - Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons

Now granted these are mere suggestions but they are VERY good ones. With just the fish you have the Min Suggested Tank size would be in the (and this is pushing it) 50g range IMHO. Yes your 29 isn't "Cramped" with them but you're potentially going to push well beyond the limits of your biological filtration system and this isn't how you want to START in the hobby. One of the greatest reasons for people getting OUT of the hobby in the first year is System Problems purely derived from "Rushing the system" and or "Overloading the system".

Take some time to read the links I've given and give it some thought. It's so much easier to go slow and add as your learn and have a better feel for the "System" than it is to rush into an AWESOME looking tank from the beginning and then start having to battle issues when you really just need to be learning the basics.

Also I'm curious about your test results. You posted "0" Nitrates? That's an impressive number especially for a new tank. I'd be sure to get a secondary test on that one as well as the others. That number is just "too low" for this stage of the game. I'm leery of anything that "looks to good to be true" especially when it comes to test results. This is your "window to the soul of your tank" and you want it to be clear (accurate) at this point.

Welcome, good luck and Happy Reefing :)

smkndrgn142

Well, the GHA is probably absorbing all the nitrates in his tank and he's most likely getting a false reading on his test. But WOW, great advice! I remember when I started my marine tank in LA...that poor clown looked so alone for 6 months while I waited for my tank to mature.

MarineMadness

Yea, i thought it was wierd that i had 0 nitrates as well (im going to buy a 2nd test kit to make sure), but i had a very quick cycle to begin with. The LR was fully cured and brought from my LFS which is 1/4 mile away so I had minimal die off. The 2 damsels also helped a lot... My levels were at 0 after only 7-8 days and stayed there for another 12 days before I added the clowns and banggai. Because I'm still learning, and I read differring opinions on everything, I tended to take my LFS' advice as gold. Almost every action I take I have called them, or checked on forums like this before doing so. (I may need to find some more accurate resources)

But I will take out my biowheel, it sounds pretty consensus that it causes more problems than it solves. As far as bioload, I will add my CUC tonight, or at least in part. My LFS reccomended doing so as well (first, I'll scrub the GHA off my LR). And YES, of course I have the urge to rush everything into action, who doesn't? But patience is the 1 suggestion all reefer's give, so undoubtedly it is CRUCIAL and I will hold back the urges (maybe 1 more "stays-small" type of fish WAY down the road). And thanks for all the links! I have looked into these issues before, but like I said, opinions differ so much that I try to get several perspectives.

Thanks for the honest advice everyone!! Wish me luck