New Overflow and Sump

snelly50

I finally added a Aqueon Proflex Sump and an Lifereef overflow to my RSM 130. I have the overflow in the back chamber and the return goes into the main tank. The question is have is.....If the grate going to the back chamber gets clogged I could overflow my tank. I was thinking of drilling some additional holes in the wall between the tank and back chamber. Any ideas if this is a good or bad idea, Thanks Don

PSBoston

Good question, I never thought of that. Do you have anything else back there or just the overflow? I have just the overflow and I would think it would have to get pretty gummed up on that vent to stop the flow since my water moves pretty fast back there.

I agree. Your tank would have to be pretty far gone for the grate to get blocked to that degree. I just did a similar mod to mine and flooding is much on my mind.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have the RSM250 and have been using a sump for over 2 years without a problem. I have never had the 250 grate get so messed up that it stopped flow, or even slowed flow.

GREYBOLT03

I have the RSM250 and have been using a sump for over 2 years without a problem. I have never had the 250 grate get so messed up that it stopped flow, or even slowed flow.

+1 I've been running a sump and overflow for a few months now and have no problems with the grate getting clogged

snelly50

Thanks for the reply guys. I removed one of the powerheads and figured the small hole between the chambers might be a safety net. I also cut a hole in the crate and now the return flows into the main tank. I have noticed the the surface of the main tank is not being skimmed because the overhflow is in the back chambers. Does anyone have a fix for this ?