New member in Korea

Hello everyone,

my name is Christoph and i have started a 70g Fish only marine aquarium in July this year. I am living in Suwon in South Korea, but i am originally from Germany.

Thus far i have 2 Yellowtail Damsels, 1 Red Dwarf Angel, and a Diamondback Watchman goby. I also have about 10 snails (they were producing quite some offspring, so i dont know the exact number) one electric blue Hermit crab and a cleaner Shrimp.

I have been contemplating on getting a foxface to get rid of some hair algae i have been dealing with for a while now. Do you think the fish would get along with my existing stock?

Annyeong,
Christoph

DaveK

I don't think you'd have a problem with adding a foxface. I'd be more worried about the damsels causing problems. However, I don not think it's a good idea to add the fish for algae control. For that I think you'd be better off adding about 20 - 30 more snails of various species.

Also your tank is still rather new. Most new tanks go through a lot of algae blooms the fist year they are set up. This issue might resolve itself by just doing good aquarium maintenance.

Uncle99

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!
I would agree with DaveK, while it's nice to have some fish to pick at algae, there are others ways to handle this like keeping phosphates and light in check.

In my 70g, I keep algae to a min with phosphate at .02-.04 using GFO from time to time, and my photoperiod is just 9 hours, the small amounts I still get (all tanks have algae) if it's GHA I use 20 Astrea snails and if it's Red Hair Algae I use 5 Mexican Turbos. Those Mexicans Turbos are great!

Sunlight, old T5, old MH, long photoperiod, phosphates, really bad for both algaes.

Thanks for the tips. I will search for a vendor that has mexican turbos then.

Ill cut the light period a bit. My nitrates are usually below 0.1, but i have to look for the phosphate value.

I also noticed that i have some Caulerpa algae growing on my rock now. They look rather nice and i saw they can help control nitrates and phosphates. Is it difficult to keep those?

Ill upload some images soon.

saintsreturn

Good advice here so far. I am looking forward to the pictures coming :D

My foxface used to pick off any algae in the display before he stressed out and left this world. Now i have a yellow tang and a sailfin who do ok, but not as good in my opinion. Snails do the best work, i just havent had good luck with them sticking around. I am going to pull all of my crabs when i move tanks and hopefully that keeps the snails around longer.