New Legislation Aims to Bail Out Oceans

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The National Oceans Protection Act lays out a plan for improving the health, productivity and sustainability of ocean resources and ecosystems. The bill establishes a coordinated, accountable ocean management system designed to protect, maintain and restore the health of the oceans. Among other provisions, the bill also strengthens the role of science in fisheries management, provides increased federal support for coastal habitat restoration and tightens controls on key sources of coastal and ocean pollution....At the heart of the bill is an effort to refocus human activity in the oceans--away from uncoordinated, unsustainable use toward better stewardship, revitalization and recovery.

Coming soon is another bill, to be introduced in the House of Representatives, which will seek to restore the health of ocean ecosystems. The bipartisan Oceans Conservation, Education, and National Strategy for the 21st Century Act (OCEANS- 21) is expected to outline a national policy to protect, maintain and restore marine ecosystem health. The bill, which also would establish a system for interagency and federal-state coordination, will contain provisions to improve our nation's approach to ocean science and education.

http://www.reefrelief.org/reefreliefnews/reefnews.asp?file=20050707articles.html

Yarr

Interesting indeed. All we need now is the other few hundred countries on th eplanet to do the same thing. I know here in Australia the effort is MASSIVE on water based ecologies, not only along the Great Barrier Reef, but also everywhere else. As 90% of Australia's population lives on the coast I think it is a great effort. In my state for instance they have some of the strictest import and fisheries regulations anywhere. All geared to maintain and protect the local aquatic ecology.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'm glad to hear that Australia is taking those steps but unfortunately AFA this legislation in the US a it would shock me if it would actually pass. :rollingey