New Kid on the Block.. Needs HELP!!!

Alemley0529

OK... So im Very New starting out... I have decided to turn my 29 gal Freshwater into a Saltwater... I lost my last fish about 5 months ago and have just leting it sit there and run.. So anyone with any ideas or tips.... :help1: ... i have been doing some digging on what i need.. but i would rather personal oppions and lessons learned the hard way... So any ideas anyone??????? :fishy:

in the just starting out forum there is a tonne of great stuff, i was in the same boat you are. Trust me, read, read, and read some more, then buy your sand, and rock, filll your tank.

then wait, wait, wait, then read, then wait, then read, then wait, read more,.... then after a month or so, consider which live stock you want, then read some more.

and after your done reading, wait about another 3 weeks, while testing your water daily. then you can start adding.

First thing you'll need to do is to decide what kind of tank you want to keep. Fish only or mixed reef. This will play a big part on the equipment you will need. As burntricer said read as much as you can to get yourself familiar with the saltwater world. Good lighting and pristine water quality also play a big part in saltwater as saltwater fish are more fragile than freshwater. Post a list of the equipment you have now so we can start to let you know what you will need to get. Also read up on the nitrogen cycle , this will be your first step after you gather most of your equipment. Hope this helps a little and keep us posted.

WELCOME TO RS

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:welcomera to reefsanctuary, it's a great forum with lots of very nice members, that are very knowledgeable & always willing to help
745.gif

lots of great info here...
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

Alemley0529

So more or less i have the tank and a filter and a heater.... Thats it... I know there is alot that i need im just not sure what i need
:surrender:

Frankie

RS STAFF
I must admit, an un drilled tank originally setup for fresh water is not worth investing into converting to saltwater. You would do better buying a reef ready set up and sparing yourself a headache.

DaveK

OK... So im Very New starting out... ... So any ideas anyone??????? :fishy:

The very first, most important thing you can do right now is to purchase several good books on start of the art reef systems. They read and study them until you can make up your own list of what you need.

While the net is great for specific questions, to establish the baseline knowledge needed almost requires the books. While all the information is on the net, it's not all in one place. Most sites leave out critical information of one sort or another, even though they mean well.

Here are two books to start with -
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Palette
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner