New Horizons

Frankie

RS STAFF
... And wreck the clean look of this awesome build? ;)
Besides, it's more fun watching the wife scream and jump up during a movie when a fish lands on her :D Yes this happened the other day LOL! Fairy Wrasse got her good;)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Besides, it's more fun watching the wife scream and jump up during a movie when a fish lands on her :D Yes this happened the other day LOL! Fairy Wrasse got her good;)

ROFL! Man that would be too funny!! Whew Julie would NOT be to pleased with that but once it was over she'd have a good laugh! Man that "image" has me rolling here bro!! :)

PaulR

Hey Frankie - noted from one of your posts that you are running this as a "zeovit" tank. Is the complex dosing you are doing really necessary, or are you experimenting?

I was startled, I didn't think anyone had designed any zeolites for use in saltwater tanks - how did they eliminate the calcium uptake problem?

-Paul

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
PaulR I think Frankie will be best to chime in but there is a HUGE following of Zeovite-ites for SW tanks. I'm sure Frankie will give you a wealth of information and links when he comes back through :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey Frankie - noted from one of your posts that you are running this as a "zeovit" tank. Is the complex dosing you are doing really necessary, or are you experimenting?

I was startled, I didn't think anyone had designed any zeolites for use in saltwater tanks - how did they eliminate the calcium uptake problem?

-Paul
Thanks for stopping in Paul and Allen :)
It's not as complex as it seems.

1) 2 1/2 Cups carbon (absorbs toxins, proteins and provides water clarity)
2) 2 1/2 bags stones...2 new & 1/2 'old' with the flow rate ~ 200-225gph (Their is a lot to read in the provided link at the bottom of this post about the zeolites I use)

3) 10 drops Bak, no Food7 2-3x's/wk. (bacterial strains)

4) 0.6ml Start2 2x's/day ( carbon source )

5) 4 drops SP 3x's/wk (Helps sponges grow, coral color/growth)

6) 4 drops each of, AAHC,(Amino Acid High Concentrate)
& CV, (Natural Coral Food)
3x's/wk.

7) 4 drops PIF or 4 drops Jod-Complex (Potassium Iodide Fluoride Concentrate/Iodide Complex Concentrate/ Jod=Iodide in German.) once or twice a wk

Here is a link to the basic instructions I am following. I do not follow them exactly like this but it was a beginning for me. I am changing a few things as I observe the reactions of my corals and water chemistry:

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

I also use a few other things like PCS that helps bind nutrients and bring them to the skimmer. I do some heavy skimming also.
I find I spend more time looking at my tank now then working on it. Before with the traditional sump/refugium, adding crap that I had no idea what it was made out of and just battling the issues all the time, yeah, it is worth it :D
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Ratpack

Frankie, two ??? for ya.

In regards to the zeovit method, are you able to go long periods of time without treatment once you start? The reason I ask, is I wouldn't mind trying it but I leave sometimes for vacation from a week to two at a time.

Second, I will be in Charleston Friday and may have a few moments, which LFS should I visit if I have the time?

Thanks!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Frankie, two ??? for ya.

In regards to the zeovit method, are you able to go long periods of time without treatment once you start? The reason I ask, is I wouldn't mind trying it but I leave sometimes for vacation from a week to two at a time.

Second, I will be in Charleston Friday and may have a few moments, which LFS should I visit if I have the time?

Thanks!!
Start2 needs to be dosed everyday. You can get away from the others for a week or so and it is ok to not pump the reactor for a few days. From what I am reading though it is best to get a sitter to perform the daily regiments.
I rather not recommend any lfs here in my thread. Your welcome however to pay a visit to my reef :)

Ratpack

Not a problem on the LFS. Wish I had time to stop by your reef, but I was looking more at a quick stop in and look and then back on the road in order to get home and get my other two kids from afterschool. If I stopped by there, I might not get away until later. Maybe later this month, I am coming down, or plan to, for the Charleston reefers frag swap on the 18th. I have a 10yo girl that I am sure would love to meet your girl.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just a few picture updates. My sister is checking out my thread tonight and I wanted to share my goby with her :)
Check out this growth pattern. I am thinking of fragging it to force it to grow like a cross more.
California Tort from Scott's (www.aquariumspeciltys.com) home tank:
001-23.jpg

Dark blue Millipora from his private tank also:
005-22.jpg

And my goby picture for my sister :)
003-24.jpg

I went back in my old thread and found some pictures of a few corals when I first got them. I will do a before and after session latter tonight or tomorrow night. Stay tuned!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Victor!
The mother colony was huge. I am excited to see this thing grown out.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Did you say "Fragging Soon"? Put me on "da list" bro! I'd love to purchase one of your frags :)

The new pics looks AMAZING :)

Adam Black

I've seen those goby's do bad things to acro's. They sit on them all day, irritating the coral. Has this one been all over your corals? It might be a different story because your corals are all colonies. I'm just worried about that beautiful Cali Tort:D. Great Pieces Franky.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Funny you mentioned that Adam. I have been questioning the goby's actions latley possibly irritating some of the corals. I'll keep a closer eye on him. :eye:

Adam Black

Funny you mentioned that Adam. I have been questioning the goby's actions latley possibly irritating some of the corals. I'll keep a closer eye on him. :eye:

I've had the yellow ones in my last reef tank and I wasn't able to keep acros. My LFS had 2 of them recently and I warned him about them. They ended up killing a few Ora frags. It just might be different though because everything you have is much larger. It could be a good source for food:D. Have you thought about a school of Chroomis?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have. I like the glass cardinals better though. They tend to school better from what I have read.
My wife is starting to push me for orange fish though. She likes the anthias a lot.