New bulbs or switch to LED's

cjrudy

Also scared my SPS either they wont grow or they'll burn up. I have been surprised how well my SPS have done under a six bulb T5 lamp.

I looked back through some pictures and found that my SPS doubled and tripled in size over the past year, almost all just frags when I started

cjrudy

Thanks again for all the input, I decided to stand pat and order new bulbs. I think what really made my decision was looking through pictures and see how well my SPS have done over that past year.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
No doubt T5s are good lighting. :)
I should be able to have a review of the difference in January as I'll have had each for 6 months then.

Willie McDaries

Thanks again for all the input, I decided to stand pat and order new bulbs. I think what really made my decision was looking through pictures and see how well my SPS have done over that past year.

I'm changing from halides to LEDs, if I had been running T5s all this time, I really don't know if I would change to LED either, you really can't beat the color choices with T5 and they've proven themselves to grow coral and enhance the colors, the only thing they don't have is the shimmer, but you can add a few LEDs in there to get that too if you want it

cjrudy

That's the one thing I miss with T5's is the shimmer like I see on tanks with LED's or Halides. The only problem with adding an LED strip is I have read T5's will most likely wash out any shimmer.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah. T5's are great for color but they put off a good amount of heat and they do wash out any accent shimmer leds......you'd need a few of them to have any effect and well.....then you'd be goign LED.

I'm with Willie though, much easier to go MH-LED than from T5-LED.

GlassMunky

Also scared my SPS either they wont grow or they'll burn up. I have been surprised how well my SPS have done under a six bulb T5 lamp.

I looked back through some pictures and found that my SPS doubled and tripled in size over the past year, almost all just frags when I started

There's no worry about them not growing. They will grow under LED's. burning them up, on the other hand is a very real possibility. When I switched my 90G over to LED I burnt the crap out of them cause I thought I needed to go full blast. Slowly acclimate your tank to the new lights.