New Bulbs - Help me choose

KARussell88

Hey all,
I'm not lighting expert and this is the first time I'm replacing this sort of bulb.
I currently have a NOVA Extreme Pro Lighting system with its stock lights, about 6 or 7 months old. I'm not sure how often I'm supposed to take the bulbs out, but I'm assuming its soon and I want to get it done before its time.
So their are 8 54 watt bulbs on it now.
I was looking into giesemann bulbs because I hear they are the best. Just don't know what type to get (Actinic, Midday Sun, Pure Actinic, Aquablue Plus). I would like some opinions. I have corals in the tank and would like them to look better.
Also, if there are other really good bulb manufacturers out there then let me know.

WVUReefer

IMO..ATI is a better longer lasting bulb..they have a higher PAR than the Giesemann..UVL also is another good brand..but I have heard the lifespan of the bulb is not that long...

KARussell88

I'll look into those brands, any info on what type of bulbs I should use?
Hey ready for those MOUTAINEERS?? We got a good shot at getting to the sweet 16 but we gotta start hitting jumpshots.... And KJ needs to step up and be the man on the team! We got a real shot at beating Ohio State with our defense if we can manage to beat the teams we should be to get there.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Might give reefgeeks a call ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums they are a quality company with great support & will tell you some of thier most popular combinations - when I replace my 6 t5's I plan to go with a recommendation they made for me.

after I called them, I ask them to e-mail me with what they told me on the phone... and this is the nice e-mail they sent...

Glenn,

Here is a recap of what we talked about today as well as the combos I promised

With your current PCF Setup (75/25 Aquablue/2 in 1 SA) on your RedSeaMax 130, you have a bit of “pink” hue to your tank. Our recommendation to replicate that for your T5 Setup would be:

QTY 4 - UVL0027 UVL 39W 75/25 14000K AquaBlue T5 HO Fluorescent

QTY 2 - UVL 39W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent

Here a couple of our more popular 6 bulb combos for you to review as well…

6-Bulb

3 ATI B+

1 ATI 12k Aquablue

1 GE 6500K Daylight

1 ATI Purple Plus

For the bluer look, Replace the Aquablue with another ATI B+

Glenn, let me know if you have any additional questions. And thanks again for the opportunity to work with you.

Regards,

George Balolong

reefgeek, Inc.
2908 Oregon Ct, Ste I-5
Torrance, CA 90503

Toll Free 866-295-9230
310-533-9500
310-782-9507 (fax)
ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums

carmexx

Well I am running a 5 bulb aquatinics TX5 fixture. I have UVL and ATI bulbs.

2 ATI Blue plus
2 UVL Super actinic
1 UVL 75/25

They give it the "blue look" which I like to a certain degree....this combo really made me happy.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can tell you one bulb that I really like and think almost EVERY set-up needs one in it.. the KZ Fiji Purple. It makes certain colors in your tank POP almost like LED does.

Also don't overlook "Light Acclimation". Not only are you going from "tired" bulbs to new you're going from mediocre bulbs to OMG WOW bulbs. Photo-Shock can and WILL kill your coral so do it with a plan and do it SLOWLY! I personally like to "Shade" the tank with window screen and remove a layer every week or so until the tank is "BARE" again.

KARussell88

Oh I had no idea about light shock!
I'm not sure if I want the tank to look blue or not, I have heard about the fiji purple, can I get a site for those?
I'm a little less worried about making my tank look overly blue as I am getting the best lights I can for the corals.. that being said I do want them to look good, not brown.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
"Looking Good" is a very subjective thing. For instance I LOVE a crisp blue look but many people don't really like it. It's not "good" or "bad" it's what ALLEN likes and my bulbs had a LOT of PAR!

I tried to get all my bulbs either local or from Reef Geeks (www.reefgeeks.com)

I got the KZ Fiji Purple local but it's one bulb I wont run a T5 fixture without.

redsea reefer

4 ATI Blue Plus
3 ATI Aquablue Special
1 ATI Purple Plus

Use the Blue Plus for Dawn/Dusk application and replace bulbs every 9-12 months.

KARussell88

"Looking Good" is a very subjective thing. For instance I LOVE a crisp blue look but many people don't really like it. It's not "good" or "bad" it's what ALLEN likes and my bulbs had a LOT of PAR!

I tried to get all my bulbs either local or from Reef Geeks (www.reefgeeks.com)

I got the KZ Fiji Purple local but it's one bulb I wont run a T5 fixture without.

I guess a better question is does it really matter what bulbs I choose when it comes to coral growth and life? Are all the bulbs going to keep my corals happy and growing no matter what a choose and the only real difference is their color?

4 ATI Blue Plus
3 ATI Aquablue Special
1 ATI Purple Plus

Use the Blue Plus for Dawn/Dusk application and replace bulbs every 9-12 months.

This seems like its going to make my tank really blue. Do you have a picture of what it looks like on your tank?
I also don't have a way of keeping a set, or single bulb on at a time, I can either leave a certain four on or all of them, and that has to be done manually by pressing the on/off switch for them, A timer won't work.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
There are "differences" yes but often times fairly small differences. For the "average" reef keeper how it looks to your eye is of UTMOST importance. If you're really wanting to "Push" the coral to grow as fast as possible you're going to sacrifice the cool LOOK of your tank and go with a yellowish bulb. Really for your every day hobbyist as long as you use a name brand, high quality bulb your tank will thrive. Keep in mind that bulb selection is only one component in the "Chain" of a reef tank. No matter how AMAZING your bulbs are if one other link in the chain is weak the whole chain will suffer.

My thoughts . . . make it look how you WANT it to look and enjoy your reef :)

redsea reefer

I guess a better question is does it really matter what bulbs I choose when it comes to coral growth and life? Are all the bulbs going to keep my corals happy and growing no matter what a choose and the only real difference is their color?

Yes, the bulbs and colors matter. There are great bulbs and cheap one's. If you want the best, then ATI is it. Highest PAR. You do need full spectrum bulbs as well as blue(420-470nm)for Photosynthesis. That combo is an even mix of both.

This seems like its going to make my tank really blue. Do you have a picture of what it looks like on your tank?
I also don't have a way of keeping a set, or single bulb on at a time, I can either leave a certain four on or all of them, and that has to be done manually by pressing the on/off switch for them, A timer won't work.

Its really not too blue, more of a blueish white. You can get an extra Aquablue Special to replace a Blue Plus with if its too blue for you.

KARussell88

ok well I like the look of a blue tank when it comes to coral but I don't like how dark it looks to me with everything else.
So 4 blue plus and a purple plus because I need a purple, but what is going to be more of a brightener to the tank? Like a whiter look?
Can I see a picture of your alls tanks along with what bulbs your using?

Willie McDaries

ok well I like the look of a blue tank when it comes to coral but I don't like how dark it looks to me with everything else.
So 4 blue plus and a purple plus because I need a purple, but what is going to be more of a brightener to the tank? Like a whiter look?
Can I see a picture of your alls tanks along with what bulbs your using?

you will be amazed at how bright the ATI Blue+ will make your tank...nothing dark about 'em.....

I just replaced my PCs with T5...look at the difference here

IMG_0792.jpg

left side is 2x54w T5 HO with ATI Blue Plus (new bulbs)...on the right side is 4x65w PC with UVL super actinic (2 new,2 are 6 months old)

108 watts of T5 vs. 260w of PC

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Check out the links in the sig lines... it really hard to capture the light, I use PP (post processing) with most of my pics to tweak them to make the pic look like what I am seeing... if this helps any

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't get "accurate" color pics to save my life. I may start sending all my pics to Glenn and let him "PP" them before posting :)