New Bulbs Actinics not needed

johnlewis

Well I just hooked up my new Universal Ballast and CoralVue 15k bulb to compare the color vs the 6500 Iwasaki's which have been outstanding. I was not sure if I wanted 10k or 20k so I went with 15k. Well as you can see they have a lot of blue in them. I am going to burn them in an see if they whiten up. I picked them up from Inreef.com and everything arrived OK, including a wiring diagram for the ballasts. Now I just need to decide if I want to go with 10ks or this 15k.

6500k left 15k CoralVue Right.

johnlewis

Well the lights have turned a little more white, I will post some pictures in a week for comparison. They really bring out the green fluorescents colors.

johnlewis

Here is an update after 2 weeks

146burnin.jpg

reefrunner

Contributing Member
How are your coral reacting to the increased UV? I just got a 10K and a 12K and a 20K from CoralVue and the 12K is very blue before burn in, some of my stuff loves the increased UV some isn't as nuts about it. Right now I alternating between the 10K and the 12K, but I think I'm gonna let the 12K burn in and see what it look like.

johnlewis

At 2 wks I see no ill effects, as you can see half of the tank is covered by the 15k. So on the 15k side are a toadstool, Purple Tipped Acro, star polyps, Pulsing Xenia, moonstone. The moonstone has much better color, only a slight green could be seen under the 6500k now it's bold green. The light is a bit whiter now, I am oping it continues to whiten just a bit more. I ordered a 10k for comparison to determine what I want to use on my 180.

johnlewis

Update I now have the 10k with the 15k for comparison. Thanks to Inreef, great service and follow through.

146Web_Picture_020.jpg

The left is the 10k and the right is the 15k, both are CoralVue. I will post pictures after a few weeks of burn in as well.

Last edited: