New 29 setup

Emg

I kept myself very busy yesturday switching over tanks....

I had a 29planted that went south on me after I stopped dosing excel, got sick of looking at it and came across a great deal on some fully cured fiji LR recently for $3 a lb. I picked up 20lbs of it for a little 15 reef I had in the other room...but the more I had to look at that ugly 29planted the more I thought about switching it over to a reef. I had more than enough rock...two large pieces left over that I couldn't get into the 15.......sooo....that's what I did yesturday.....

Here's the ugly 29...

This is what it used to look like...excel is a wonderful product, but so darned expensive !

Here's the new reef....born 12/29/08....the rock is fully cured...well soaked and wrapped with a total 10 minute trip from source to home. I picked it up last Friday and it's been running in the 15 with the two gobies....two larger pieces were in a 10 with two yellow tail damsels.
DSC09797-web.jpg

and....it's happy occupants....all moved over from a little 15....
DSC09777-web.jpg

setup
29Allglass tank
about 25lbs fiji LR
2-AC 70 HOBs
dual bulb 40watt flourescent (10,00K and actinic..was over the 15)

I'm picking up a 65watt 50/50 for the coralife fixture. Not much for lighting but will have to do for now. Also, I'll be putting in 2 #2 Koralias in here. The HOBs are mostly for water movement, but one of them I've setup as a little refugium with cheato and rubble in it. The other I can run carbon or whatever as needed. I do need to get a light over the fuge one though.

I have some coral in the 50 that I can move over to this tank.....today I'm going shopping....I plan on adding a chalk bass at some point. I'd like to have something in here the swims around to help the firefish feel a bit more secure....but It'll have to be a smaller type fish and non-aggressive. Any suggestions are welcome ! I read up a bit on the chalk bass...they're small enough, but I'm not sure they do much swimming around...still, can help just to have another face in there. I have two yellow tail damsels in another tank, but I'm concerned that they'll bother the firefish.

I'm still tossing around what other occupant to put in.....I would love another highfin goby/pistol shrimp pair.....I think the 2 firefish, chalk bass and a highfin goby wouldn't be too much in this tank as they're all smaller fish. We'll see...no hurry anyway...I'm just glad to get rid of that ugly planted thing !
sick0025.gif

ReefLady

Staff member
Looks nice! Keep us posted/updated. Careful with the fish - I know everything has come from an established tank, but you're still likely to get a small cycle from moving that rock.

Emg

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it since I picked it up last week.....if it was going to cycle it would have shown some signs by now...so far so good. It went right from the 15 and 10 into the 29...so should be ok.

The couple I bought it from had over 100lbs of it circulating in a large rubbermaid in their basement. They had bought it from an established tank and were planning on setting up a 180 but life got in the way. The rock had been down there for awhile a it was only a 10 minute trip from their place to mine and I had it soaked and wrapped very well for the trip. We'll see....

untilthen

if your interested in getting good deals on some zoa frags let me know... i have a guy who is always sending out packs of all types of polyps for a good price and packs it great...

not really sure wat direction you plan on going with your tank but here is
just a look at some zoos that might interest u

109_0571.jpg

Emg

Thanks for the offer Then !

I have a pretty good source of whatever coral I care to purchase...for incredible prices. I'm a member of a great reef club here in CT and one of the members is a science teacher at the local HS. He has an oceanography class and there's a good size frag farm setup there. He sells frags for extremely reasonable prices....everything he makes from selling them goes back into the program.....I also make a lot of great trades in the club.

I highly recommend finding out if there are any reef clubs in your area !!

I haven't had much luck with zoa frags in my tanks. I don't think I have enough light for them. I still have one sad little group still hanging in there...it's been doing a bit better since I put it in the new tank and it can be up closer to the light....but all the other ones I used to have just dried up and disappeared.

Everything else does just fine though, so I just stay away from the zoas.