New 200 Gallon Deep Dimension

jon doe

I am starting this thread to hopefully get some feedback and some good ideas on how I should keep this tank going and improve the quality of life for my stock.
The tank is new, been up for about a month. I am merging two older 65 and 75 gallon tanks into this one. The live rock is already transfered for the most part, and I have begun moving over some stock (slowly).

To follow:
Equipment list
Pictures
Some stupid ideas I have about the direction I want to go.

I will post more tonight and then hopefully some of you experts can help me make this tank as good as it can be.

Thank you.
:nopity:

jon doe

Sump setup.
sump7.jpg

Tank shot.
tank36.jpg

Remote shot:
whole.jpg

Basically, I have the tank setup in a living room downstairs and on the other side of the wall I have the sump in the laundry room which makes doing maintenance so much easier and cleaner for me.

A couple things I don't know about right off the bat are the positioning of the heaters and power heads.
It seems like no matter where I point them, they blow the clam upwards.
The heaters work well where I have them but I wanted to put them in the over flows. When I do, they complain about LF (Low flow) and I don't know if thats the best spot for them.

Just for some additional info.
I have moved over as much water as I could from the old tanks. I am about half way done moving over the fish from one tank.
So far I have:
-ocellaris clownfish x2
-pink skunk clownfish x2
-some kind of anemone (host for skunk clowns)
-pork fish
-grey and orange tang
-pajama cardinal fish x 2

I have been moving the fish over slowly (2 per week) and testing my water conditions about every other day to make sure ammonia doesn't spike.

I will gather my equipment list and post in a bit.

marine281

Great looking tank!

Could the heaters go in the sump to make it neater? maybe laying down in the skimmer section? would they get enough flow there?

jon doe

Great looking tank!

Could the heaters go in the sump to make it neater? maybe laying down in the skimmer section? would they get enough flow there?

Thank you,
I think I could maybe put one of them in there and see how it goes at least.

jon doe

Equipment List

Equipment list:
Hydor Performer 500 dp skimmer
1800 GPH pump
2x Fluval E300 heaters
Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 lighting (modded with moonlights)
Hydor model 3 and 4 powerheads
2 x Phos-reactors (one with carbon and the other with phosphate remover)
Custom sump with refuge

I can think of a couple of items that need replacing in the future.
1. I know the skimmer is not big enough for this tank. At some point when I have some extra cash to burn, it will need to be replaced.

2. Although the lights are pretty good, I know there are some better options out there. I just can`t afford to upgrade right now. One problem I have that might need to be dealt with right now is the fans on the side. They blow right onto the side of the canopy. I don`t know how big of a problem this is.

Any thoughts on these issues?

Last edited:

jon doe

Stock List.
Fox Face
Pork Fish
Orange Skunk x2
Ocellaris Clown x2
Flame Angel
Christmas Wrasse
6line wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
Brown bird wrasse
pajama cardinal x2
Dwarf lionfish
Arc Eye hawkfish
Long nose hawkfish
Yellowtail Blue Damsil
Green mandarin fish
Convict blenny
Threadfin anthias
Sand sifter star fish x2
Blood shrimp
Brown tang fish?
Long tentacle anemone

More pics:
IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's a SWEET looking tank. I LOVE the dimensions of it.

I'd get rid of the Wet-Dry early on if I were you.

PEMfish

I would put the heater in the sump the wet dry in the garbage and the fan farther from the hood.

Awesome tank by the way, love its dimensions.

jon doe

What is wet dry?
Also I have a problem with one overflow and a flushing noise.
I didn't have this problem when I first set it up. Any thoughts?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
The wet dry is the bio balls filtration, it's no good for a reef system.

The rock work looks great by the way, nicely done :)

jon doe

Should I put something in place of the balls or just leave that massive gap where the balls used to be? On my smaller system I used to put small pieces of live rock rather than bio balls but I don't have enough to fill that space right now.

Edit: 10:00pm
Removed Bio Balls. 2 buckets full. Not sure if I should put anything in their place.
Heater moved to sump as well.

Last edited:

marine281

I probably would have removed them slowly rather than in one hit, as much as they were a nitrate factory, they were your main home for bacteria. I'd be cautious of overfeeding for a little while, that said, its a big tank, so it may not be an issue..

There are a few options for what you could add to that section, maybe a frag rack, or 2nd area as a refugium.

PEMfish

I wouldn't be to concerned about filling it up because pretty soon there will be something you will want to put there. If you leave it empty for awhile when that something comes, you'll have a spot for it.

jon doe

I wouldn't be to concerned about filling it up because pretty soon there will be something you will want to put there. If you leave it empty for awhile when that something comes, you'll have a spot for it.

Is it not going to be a problem that this spot is where all the water falls into the sump?