New 12,000k PC light called PC-R

zigginit

i just saw that Nanoturners put up a new kind of PC buld call a PC-R. (PC-R by Nanocustoms & UV Lighting Company), it come in a few different watts. i have not seen a 12k PC light before and was wondering if anyone else has anything to say about them.

i would be putting two 36w 12k white with 1 36w actin. i have a 29 biocube with the light mod. (3 lights instead of 2). i currently have 10k in there but they were the cheap ones and i wish i didnt buy that brand so i want to go with the 12k but i want to know if they are any good or are really 12k.

they say the PC-R means it has an internal reflector inside the light and redirects all light out one side the bulb i think. its not bad for $24 a light but i dont want to deal with more bad lights.

i know i should just get HQI but i dont want to until i buy a bigger tank.

i would post a pic of tank but cant figure it out yet. i have to put in a URL?? so my pic has to be online?:dunno:

popup_image.php

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: zigginit and welcome to RS!

I ran a "similar" type of bulb to that last year in one of my fixtures (not a Nano) and it was SWEET! My LFS is now stocking them and I "think" they are UVL brand. Very nice bulb IMHO.

zigginit

so you ran the 12k before? Did it look crisp white or kinda blue? do you think it was good enough to grow some SPS? or other higher light things? not going crazy with it but i do have some that i want to grow faster.

how do i put pics up?:help1:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I ran a "version" of those bulbs but for another type of light fixture. It wasn't in a Nano Cube. I bought some of the PC-R at my LFS for my Coralife 130W (2x65W) PC fixture.

for SPS? :nono: Heck no not even close. You might get away with some of the easier ones at the very top of the tank almost touching the lights but that's a MAYBE at best. You're still working with PC lights and they just don't have the PUNCH you'll want for SPS. You might get some sps to "live" but growth will be stunted and color will probably go to a dull brown.

Here's a link on how to do pictures

zigginit

thanks i will have to give that a try when i get some time.

And i think i will try the lights in a little while. i just going to wait tell i feel the other lights HAVE TO GO. ill talk myself into it like i do with everything i do for my reef.