Need some help.

Mike

I was wondering if anyone could help me with what i would need for a sump for a 55g tank. If more info is needed I will post it. Any help would be wonderfull. Thanx :columbo:

mps9506

My old 55 I used a 30 gallon tank as the sump. All it consisted of was the tank, an in sump protein skimmer, heater and filter sock.
Was there anything specific you were interested in?

Mike

Tank size for sump and is there a web page so i can see how it sets up, need to know what to get. Thanx :smoking:

mps9506

My only recomendation for size is get as large as you possibly get.
You can make the sump as simple or as complex as you want. At it's bare minimum it is just a low area for your system to hold extra tank water. It is also a good spot to put equipment you want to keep out of your main display tank.
At the bare min. you will have water enter the sump at one end, then have a pump at the opposite end to pump water back into the main tank.
If you want to complicate things you can add baffles to route the water flow where you want in the sump, add refugiums etc.
I like my sumps simple, in one end out the other. Stick a protein skimmer and heater in the middle. I also add a float switch in the sump so I can automatically top off my tank when the water starts to evaporate.
I'll post some links with sump info on them in a sec.

Have fun with designing it! Also pick up some aquarium sealant and build shelves so water can flow through diferent compartments. And then you can place your skimmer in it or other fitration units if you wana!!
Good luck let me know if you have any questions!!
Shawn :)