Need help with my sump pump

Brandon78

Ok so I finally got my sump setup, 20g long. I have a eshopps 300 overflow and mag 5 pump(many people use this combo so its something im doing wrong) This is my first sump and we got it all setup, however, the pump is pumping more water than the overflow is draining, therefore my return pump chamber is running out before the overflow box gets water over to it. Can I restrict the pump with a valve, or will that pressurize it too much? Or am I missing something really obvious?!

Brandon78

Also I noticed the person who owned it before me has a smaller pipe inside a bigger pipe in the sponge filter in the overflow, should I remove that smaller pipe/tube?

Brandon78

photo38.jpg

This is the tube inside the overflow sponge

leave the pipes. they are suppossed to be there. you may just need more water? its hard to tell without seeing the levels of the water change. Either more water or adjust your overflow so that it is lower in the tank. By lower i mean like a very small amount... like 1/2"

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
the pipe for the sponge is to prevent possible blockage and the resulting flood, leave it alone.
Flow Rate at 0' Head: 500 GPH
Flow Rate at 4' Head: 310 GPH
Flow Rate at 6' Head: 190 GPH
mag 5... how high is it from sump to box, at 4 feet you should get 300 gph, a valve on the out put side of the pump is perfectly fine, if you haven't had a sump before be careful about water levels, when pump goes off there is some drain back.

Brandon78

Ok we have it pretty low now but it can go a little lower, if that doesnt work would adding a valve and restricting a little flow be ok? Im going to try to get it done tomorrow because my chaeto comes in and some other stuff I ordered. After drinking a lot of tank water trying to siphon and try different things and my living room being torn apart I caved in, gonna hit it hard tomorrow after work though :cursin:

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I know sas already said it but gate valve that puppy.. its good to be in control... :)

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Brandon78

Ok will do thanks guys. There's a good spot for valve about 3 ft up on the return think that'll be good?

wherever is most convenient for you is best. doesn't really matter where the valve is. just make sure you can get to it easily. I hope you dont water your carpet as much as I did when I set my tank up.

Brandon78

Ok got the valve in and it made a world of difference. Running really good, bad pic, and a little cramped for space untill I do some slight mods, thanks again everyone!!!!!

photo40.jpg

photo39.jpg