Need help with my Clams

MikeZ300

The two clams that I have will not open all the way. Anybody have an suggestions? I don't want them to die.

downsized_0107081253.jpg

framerguy

When posting help questions like this it's imperitive to give all the info you can, everything you know about water parameters (not just "my water is good"), lighting, flow, how long the tank is established, how long you've had the animal, and how long they have been displaying symptoms. Clams demand very intense lighting and use a lot of calcium. Look at those two things first.

MikeZ300

Sorry, kind of new to the hobbie. I have LED 400 soloris, I have good flow but not directly on it. My Calcium is 450. Not sure what kind it is. I posted a pic of it.

Thanks

framerguy

No Problem. Welcome to RS! and the greatest hobby ever. Your clam looks like a maxima but I am not positive. When you wave your hand over the clam does it retract quickly? It should. You have an excellent light fixture. How do you have the lighting set? (kelvin rating, duration, intensity, etc.) Have you noticed any thing picking on it/at it? Clams are prone to certain parasites. Have you noticed any small snails the size of a grain of rice around the edge of the mantle? Lets start with those questions first.

MikeZ300

Thanks for your help. My lights are on for about 10 to 12 hours. I don't notice anyone picking on it, but it's possible i guess. I don't see any pirimid Snails on it. It does move if I wave my hand over it or if a fish swims by it. In the store it was wide open. unless it takes time to open up. It's been in my tank for a few days now.

framerguy

If Jack has set your lights up then they are set right. As long as they are responding to stimuli and noone is picking on them, I think they are just acclimating. You could try feeding a phytoplankton based food to stimulate them to open.

Techno-Vicki

Hi Mike, Vicki here. It is a crocea (we didn't have any Maximas FS). One of the first things to consider is watch your fish. Are any of them nipping at the mantle. Frequently, this is the problem with a clam with the mantle closed. Is one of the clams leaning sideways? If it is, you should consider moving it or proping a rock to get it upright.

MikeZ300

Hi vicki,

I thought it was a crocea, I haven't really seen any fish picking on it. But it's possible. If they are will they ever stop or should I take the clam out. Also, I think i'm going the fix my shelf rock so that it is completly flat maybe that will help
thanks
Mike

Witfull

what lighting was it under before you got it? solaris lighting is different from halides.

also when you put it into the tank after acclimation,,,,did you roll it to make sure there was no air trapped inside it?

Techno-Vicki

Mike, yes, it looks like the one needs to attach to something, otherwise it is very difficult to open and close. Wit was on to something with the lights. Jack had it under less light. If you have them near the top, you might consider moving them down for a while into the sand bed to aclimate to the light. When I kept mine low, I usually put something under them (rock, clam shell) so that the foot could attach and keep pests away, or move them to a more central part of the rockwork. If they are in the middle of the tank, you should be fine. The only trouble I had with corals and aclimation to the light were green ricordias. All other invertebrates did fine. One last thing, don't 'keep' moving the clams. They are sensitive and given too much movement can become stressed and might die.

mps9506

no it doesnt look like PM. can you please list all fish and water parameters

hehe, I always have to search for your posts on Clams direct to compare pictures. Never had pinched mantle on my clams so never really sure what it looks like.
Are you running carbon Mike?

framerguy

Thanks Chris&Barb for the ID link. I was afraid it was Crocea when I said Maxima but it looked too large in the photo for Crocea. Anyway... I hope they start opening up!

chris&barb

i dont see why it would be an attachment issue. ive had croceas never attach and still extended there mantles fine.