Need help with leaking RSM 250

Tri

I have always wanted a reef tank and finally took the plunge a purchase a tank. I purchase a used Red Sea Max 250 last weekend. The previous owner told me it is a 2013 model and I inspect the tank (with water half filled) and did not see any leaks. I am still cleaning it the tank but have notice that it is leaking a bit at the right bottom corner where the power supply is. The 3 small little hole below the power supply accumulates water droplets. It is not significant but it is still alarming. I am still in the processing of cleaning it, but i am debating what i should do about it. Should I put some silicone in that area or reseal the whole tank? This is my first saltwater aquarium ever and trying to do everything really slow but right. Does anyone else experience a little leakage in the area? Any advice on how to resolve the issue?

DaveK

I recommend that you reseal the entire tank. Use a razor blade to remove any old silicone, clean the joints with alcohol, and use aquarium grade silicone.

Be very careful what you buy, some silicones made for use in bathroom or kitchen use contain mildew fighting chemicals, and you do not want this in your tank.

Squatch XXL

Be very careful what you buy, some silicones made for use in bathroom or kitchen use contain mildew fighting chemicals, and you do not want this in your tank.
GE Type 1 silicone has no mildew fighting agents. What you are looking for is pure silicone. With a tank as large as a RSM250, I would strongly recommend getting tank grade AND making sure it is designed for that volume of water.

I agree totally with DaveK. I had a 2nd hand 75gal that leaked. The only solution after a few failures was to reseal the entire tank. There are properties of silicone that do not allow for good adhesion against dry silicone.